Los Angeles, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Shortly after we finished pool construction last year, I noticed two small round dark blue patches on the floor of the deep end. They are smooth to the touch and sit on top of the plaster. We had a pool maintainer at the time. When I asked him about them, he said they were minor workmanship defects and common to nearly every pool he has seen.

Now, about a year later, there are two new patches starting to form in the same area. Thanks to TFP, I'm fairly confident that they are in fact calcium nodules. The recommended treatment is to gently sand them down and then epoxy the hole or crack that caused the nodule to form.

In post #11 of the thread in the link above, "ontherocs" asked for recommendations for a clear epoxy, but it doesn't look like anyone had any. I'm similarly hesitant to replace type of one blue discoloration with another. Someone else also noted that their plaster broke away and left a pit when they tried to scrape the nodule, though they were using pumice stone.

Right now I'm debating whether to try to sand and epoxy them, or to maybe just leave well enough alone. The largest patch is only about 2"-3" in diameter. Two others are only around 1"-1.5", and the last one has just barely started to form.

Any advice would be appreciated. I'll try to attach photos later to serve as a reference for someone else.

Last edited:
I would leave well enough alone on a pebble finish. Whatever you do to the spots is not going to have pebbles on it and will look different then the surrounding areas.

Reactions: kevinskii
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.