Blowing Out Lines for Closing

Drew31

Aug 19, 2018
Southwest Indiana
So, 1st time closing. Started today. Draining - Ok. Winterizing Filter, no prob. Draining pump, fine. Blowing out lines...not sure what I'm doing wrong, or maybe I'm not doing anything wrong and just confused.

Using an air compressor and Schrader valve plugs to blow out lines. Using between 10-25 PSI

Return lines - Haven't started there yet.

Main drain - Plenty of bubbles from the main, but kept bubbling for a long time. Several minutes. How do I know I've "gotten it"? After doing this, I removed the Schrader plug just to see, and of course it pops off and water comes splashing back up. Can see some water below at elbow. Did this exercise two times through.

Skimmer - I look down in skimmer drain in skimmer and don't see any water. When running air through, I can hear some still in the lines, but don't see any. I'm afraid to add any more pressure. When I look down pipe at the pad, I can see a little water at elbow.

Help....

The main drain was done correctly. You do not remove the plug as air is trapped there. When you removed it, it siphoned water back. Repeat process and leave as is.

The skimmers can be done either from the pump basket or the skimmer housing. You will have to isolate the skimmers from the main drain. Please upload pictures. Can you shut off MD and leave skimmer open? And vice versa?

The returns need to be cleared and plugged at the end. Shut off compressor quickly at the last return. Keep plugs flush and hand tighten. I use goggles to make life easier.

PS: Not all the water needs to be removed. If you remove 70%-90% of the water, you will be fine. The main drain is capped with trapped air, referred to as an "air lock"

Thank you for the help.

Pic of setup. Indicated the MD line. I'm doing everything from the pad. Didn't even try returns today. I've turned off shut off valves to isolate the pipes coming up from ground and blowing thru schrader valve there.

Based on your description, think I'm doing it mostly right. I think I've gotten most of skimmer line dry, perhaps I'm just trying to attain 100% clearing which just isn't possible. At 25 PSI, I'm not getting any more water bubbling at the skimmer (blowing from pad). I can just hear a little gurgling with the air blowing thru, but can't get any more water to appear. Been sucking up any water that shows up with shop vac.

Main drain sounds like I had it pretty much right, just need to leave it alone to keep the air lock. I was just surprised how quickly the water sprayed back up at me when I removed the valve...made me think I didn't get the water blown out very far.

Returns I'm disconnecting the Chlorinator so I can blow in thru there (or some version of that). I didn't try that today given my concern over the suction side.

Closing.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.