Bleach vs Easy Pour bleach

Glock

Jun 3, 2012
Mesquite, Texas
I typically buy bleach from Wal-Mart. They recently changed their labels so I have been paying close attention to what I buy and what gets brought home by others in the house. I noticed today that I added "Easy Pour" bleach, a change in the bottle I had not noticed. All my other bottles say "Bleach" bleach. The bottles are designed the same and pour the same. The Easy Pour however does not list ingredients nor does it say splashless. However, I filled the empty bottle with water and it bubbled like crazy. Like it had soap in it. Does anyone know if there is indeed a difference in the two?

bleach.JPG

As noted in the Pool School Definitions and Abbreviations and in countless threads on this forum:

Bleach
See sodium hypochlorite, below, because that is what bleach is. It comes in 8.25% strength as Concentrated bleach, 6% strength as Ultra bleach, 5.25% strength as regular bleach, and sometimes as 3% strength for some of the 'cheapie' bargain bleaches. You want to use plain, unscented bleach for your pool, not the scented, no splash, outdoor, or thickened kinds! One gallon will raise 10,000 gallons of water approximately the percentage of the bleach in FC (i.e, one gallon of 6% ultra bleach will raise 10,000 gallons approx. 6 ppm FC).

Splash-less bleach has thickeners that prevent it from splashing and such thickeners foam up like soap when in water.

Yep, WallyWorld got ya. I go to Walmart about once a year, but I have how they constantly change their labels. I usually use LC, but if I need bleach I hit up Sams Club for the Clorox 3 pack.

Did it foam up on ya??

If so I do not see why you could not use the foam remover stuff for hot tubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ran across this stuff as well. Funny after 60 or so bottles used in my conversion I was careful to get the standard Walmart bleach. The last time I went to the store one of the Easy Pours snuck in. Last night I was adding and was in a rush. Thought the bleach poured differently. Today I noticed the label. Well the pool has about 19oz in it. Nothing to worry about I am sure. I easy poured the rest of the **** down the drain.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The easy pour has soap and the bleach is only chlorine but; we are in pool forum and I would not recommend this because pool chlorine is double the straight and les TDS. In other words you are making your pool water two times older then the rest of the people, at the end you will need way more chemicals. Take a sample of water to pool store and ask the your levels and also ask them the recommended levels on your area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The easy pour has soap and the bleach is only chlorine but; we are in pool forum and I would not recommend this because pool chlorine is double the straight and les TDS. In other words you are making your pool water two times older then the rest of the people, at the end you will need way more chemicals. Take a sample of water to pool store and ask the your levels and also ask them the recommended levels on your area.

Here at Trouble Free Pool they recommend you learn to test your own water with the recommended levels in Pool School.

The easy pour has soap and the bleach is only chlorine but; we are in pool forum and I would not recommend this because pool chlorine is double the straight and les TDS. In other words you are making your pool water two times older then the rest of the people, at the end you will need way more chemicals.
?? I'm slow sometimes, Can you explain what you mean here?

Take a sample of water to pool store and ask the your levels and also ask them the recommended levels on your area.

As PAGirl stated, TFP strongly supports that the Pool owner do their own testing with A proper test kit and follow guidelines in Pool School & PoolMath

I think what he is getting at is liquid chlorine is twice as strong so you only use and therefore dissolve half the chemicals.
Not sure about the twice as old part but have read some of his posts before that seemed spot on.
Maybe we would all be better off if nobody shopped at Walmart at all. ( not looking for a big debate here. If you shop there you probably find it to be a guilty pleasure.)
I'd personally rather support a mom and pop type pool store for what I already know I need than a place like Leslie's and would never set foot in a walmart.
That's just me though.

we are in pool forum and I would not recommend this because pool chlorine is double the straight and les TDS.
This is simply not true. The amount of salt on a per FC basis is the same for 6% or 8.25% bleach as it is for 10% or 12.5% chlorinating liquid. For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by bleach or chlorinating liquid, it also increases sodium chloride salt by 17 ppm after accounting for chlorine usage/consumption.

The only advantage of chlorinating liquid over bleach is that there is less weight to carry. Of course, prices vary and the amount of excess lye can also vary, but the salt level does not because the salt comes from the chlor-alkali process and that process is not different between production of bleach vs. chlorinating liquid (see this post).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.