Black Trash Bags to Heat pool?

Apr 29, 2016
mass
I am in New England and dont have a pool heater (pool is 68*). We recently cut down some more tress but still cant get our pool hot enough for all to enjoy. My wife saw that some folks are placing black trash bags to cover the surface.The claim is that this works to heat the water and trap the heat in. Does this really work?

P.S I have a pool cover.

My experience with a clear bubble wrap style solar cover is that is basically works like a insulation blanket. It's just my experience but I find reeling in the cover on sunny days helps warm the water much more than leaving the solar cover on. But you have to put the cover back on at night to prevent the heat loss during the night.

Reactions: CarolineM
My experience with a clear bubble wrap style solar cover is that is basically works like a insulation blanket. It's just my experience but I find reeling in the cover on sunny days helps warm the water much more than leaving the solar cover on. But you have to put the cover back on at night to prevent the heat loss during the night.
It is not just you. Science supports you. Covering your pool with a plastic sheet of any color or variety will not heat your water any more than direct sunlight on the pool. These covers work to warm the pool by keeping the heat in when temperatures dip and the sun goes away (at night, or on cloudy days)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.