krischela

May 2, 2021
Normal, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
We just got home after 1.5 weeks. I opened the cover to find these stains in two different spots, close to each other. IMG_9817.jpegIMG_9818.jpegIMG_9817.jpegAt least I think they are stains. I thought it was dirt that collected where the textured surface meets the smooth surface, but it did not easy brush off. Water chemistry tested perfect. What could this be and how can I remedy?IMG_9818.jpeg

I got in and checked. I can’t feel a specific crack, but the texture feels different in those spots when I compare to where there is no staining. It’s definitely stained and does not rub. No wafter loss of note. The house otter used the pool all week, so it was a little low but still well within the skimmer level.

Pool is under warranty as it’s only 4 years old. I suppose I need to call them?

I got in and checked. I can’t feel a specific crack, but the texture feels different in those spots when I compare to where there is no staining. It’s definitely stained and does not rub. No wafter loss of note. The house otter used the pool all week, so it was a little low but still well within the skimmer level.

Pool is under warranty as it’s only 4 years old. I suppose I need to call them?
House sitter. 😊

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Maybe delamination of the top layer causing a bubble and maybe a crack.

A crack in the top layer won't necessarily cause a big leak.

You can dive down and use some dye to squirt near the crack to see if it is leaking.

Put some food coloring in a baby syringe and dive down and squirt the food coloring right next to the crack.

Since you said you didn't feel a crack per se, I'm curious........ As a test, any chance you can get some Vitamin C tablets on the stain? Maybe place a few in a thin sock or nylon and let it sit on there for a bit? It's a long shot, but since someone might have used the pool while you were away, I can't help but wonder if they allowed something to sink and come to rest in that area? It wouldn't explain a texture difference, if there is one, just the marking.

If that does nothing, maybe try the same test with a small bit of dry acid?

I'm like 99% sure that it is a crack.

I would file a warranty claim with the builder/Installer and also with San Juan directly to get their input.

You're going to need a diver who can examine it closely.

As you can see, there are several layers to a fiberglass pool shell.

The top layer can delaminate and create blisters or bubbles and it can crack.

Even if the top layer cracks, the other layers will prevent a big leak.

1686793814651.png

As you can see, there are several layers to a fiberglass pool shell.

The top layer can delaminate and create blisters or bubbles and it can crack.

Even if the top layer cracks, the other layers will prevent a big leak.

View attachment 503980

This is what they gave me.

Attachments

• IMG_9819.jpeg
    IMG_9819.jpeg
    530.2 KB · Views: 39
I'm like 99% sure that it is a crack.

I would file a warranty claim with the builder/Installer and also with San Juan directly to get their input.

You're going to need a diver who can examine it closely.
Yeah, I’ll call them tomorrow. The warranty specifically excludes damage to the gel coat, including blistering, cracking, discoloration, etc. which may mean I’m out of luck. I have no idea what it takes to repair something like this or if it’s something we just love with. One area started last year and I really thought it was dirt I couldn’t get out and it was pretty faint. But. Ow there are suddenly two spots and far darker.

Since you said you didn't feel a crack per se, I'm curious........ As a test, any chance you can get some Vitamin C tablets on the stain? Maybe place a few in a thin sock or nylon and let it sit on there for a bit? It's a long shot, but since someone might have used the pool while you were away, I can't help but wonder if they allowed something to sink and come to rest in that area? It wouldn't explain a texture difference, if there is one, just the marking.

If that does nothing, maybe try the same test with a small bit of dry acid?
I have vitamin C and will give it a shot. Thank you!

If it is a blister or crack, the Gel Coat section can be removed and repaired.

Check with the manufacturer to get their opinion on what it is and what they recommend.

img_9819-jpeg.503984

Maybe delamination of the top layer causing a bubble and maybe a crack.

A crack in the top layer won't necessarily cause a big leak.

You can dive down and use some dye to squirt near the crack to see if it is leaking.

Put some food coloring in a baby syringe and dive down and squirt the food coloring right next to the crack.
Oh interesting. What will happen if it’s leaking?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.