Black lines from main drain

CH, pH, CYA, and TA.

Can you confirm you have no heater?
We got a new heat pump when we had the resurfacing done. We had no heater before that. Can the heat pump cause iron/copper issues with your pool water?

Last night I tested chlorine, ph, alkalinity using my test kit and the results were fine. I’m not sure if these would test for metals. Based on the recommendation of the pool company I put a gallon of acid in the pool yesterday. That dropped my ph a lot but when I put in ph up and I ran another test and ph was normal

Last edited:
Ok just got a call from the pool company that was just out there. They think it is scale from the plaster that was installed when they did the resurfacing. They did recommend to add acid weekly when they completed the resurface and I did that but I have not been adding any acid over the last few months. He has recommended to add another 2 gallons of acid (added one gallon yesterday which helped with the gain).He recommended to add it on the stain and other parts of the pool). He recommended me to get jacks(or something like that?) stain inhibitor - use the full bottle initially and then add a little bit each week. He said my heat pump is electric and will not cause iron/metal issues. He tested my levels and all looks good. He recommended not to add ph up when I add the acid (not sure why)? So I will go after work and get 2 more gallons of acid and then try and find that stain inhibitor. He said otherwise my pool looks good.

I strongly recommend you not blindly add chemicals without reliable test results that reliable show what your current FC, pH, TA, CH, and CYA levels are. I am not a seasoned pool owner like others here, but I've never read anything here about stains vanishing just by adding a couple gallons of acid.

I strongly recommend you not blindly add chemicals without reliable test results that reliable show what your current FC, pH, TA, CH, and CYA levels are. I am not a seasoned pool owner like others here, but I've never read anything here about stains vanishing just by adding a couple gallons of acid.
I agree. One of the things they said to me today is to get a good stain remover (which I just got) apply the full bottle initially around the pool with the focus on where the stains are and then apply a little of it each week. I am not a huge fan of using acid in my pool either but when you have your pool resurfaced they will tell you to use it initially on a regular basis to help with the scaling. I was probably suppose to use it in small doses weeks and months after the resurfacing, which I did not do and was primarily just shocking my pool. I cannot say for sure, but they think my stains were caused by scaling and in particular the iron that exists in the new plaster that was applied when they did the resurfacing. It all seems abit confusing to me as the resurfacing was done in apr 2022 and I saw no issues for months afterwards. Perhaps when I stopped using the acid may have be an issue - perhaps I should of carried on longer in small dosages ?

I'm not sure what you're using to control pH and TA, but do not use dry acid. Use muriatic acid instead. Consistent use of sodium bisulfate can damage pool and equipment surfaces.

I'm not sure what you're using to control pH and TA, but do not use dry acid. Use muriatic acid instead. Consistent use of sodium bisulfate can damage pool and equipment surfaces.
Never used dry acid In my pool - only used muriatic acid.
I only added muriatic acid today because I was adding the stain remover and we have to bring the ph level down before applying the stain remover.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I misinterpreted your comments. Best of luck!
Thank you for all your guidance Rancho. Much appreciated. I just put in some stain remover a few hours ago and don’t see my change but I guess this is more of a process and will have to apply it regularly over the next few weeks. One of my challenges is these are not new stains so it may be tricky to remove. The muriatic acid has helped by reducing the strength of the stain so we will see what happens. My family don’t seem to be bothered by it but I guess as the “household pool cleaner” we get a little obsessed with everything that is not perfect regarding the pool.

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.