Black dots on Pebble Tec, but NOT black algae?

Hatepools

May 16, 2020
Leander, Texas
Hi all,

I know it's against the culture here, but right now I have my pool being maintained by a company. It's balanced properly, they come out weekly, we keep it very clean (robot and manual vacuuming). All that good stuff. In other words, chemicals are balanced.

In the beginning, earlier this year late March, probably, the pool was being opened up for the first time. We got the water in, the starter chemicals, and otherwise leaving it alone (except for scrubbing). Within the first 1-2 months, black spots appeared in the deep end and have been there since.

The company maintaining my pool has done 2 chlorine or calhypo bombs and scrubbed it with a steel brush (two times). They also used Leslie Pool's Black Algae remover and scrubbed. NONE of these had any effect.

I've seen multiple pictures of black algae, and this just doesn't look like it. So, I'm wondering what it could be? I also have other brown/black dotting all over the deep end. It looks like rust in a lot of cases. I'm beginning to wonder if they didn't prep well enough and metal shavings, screws, wire, whatever are under the pebble tec causing it to discolor/rust.

I'm trying to get the pebble tec company back out soon to take a look, but in the meantime, I'm also trying to arm myself with knowledge. If I attempt any kind of search on the internet, it's 99.999999% black algae related. And this just doesn't seem to fit, so far.

I've attached a picture from another thread. This basically looks almost identical to what I have. Spread out black dots (not clustered small ones).

Attachments

• BGPjiEg.jpg
    BGPjiEg.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 33
If they added abalone shells to the pebble then this could be the issue. In other posts there has been comments about these shells leaching out after sometime.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.