Black cloud from pool solar

Oct 24, 2018
Brentwood CA
Hi

The other day I replaced two check valves on my pool system. My pool has an elevated spa , Solar roof heating panels and a regular gas heater. My system is approx 12 years old.

As I had not run the pump through the solar panels for at least 2 months , I thought it would be good to test the new check valves doing so.

As soon as the pump started to divert to the solar there were black clouds coming out of the pool return valves into the pool , and it lasted until all the water was flushed. These clouds quickly fell and stayed to the bottom of the pool and could be swept around with the pool brush.

In my pool vacuum I have all this black dirt which if rubbed between your fingers turns into an oily substance that stains your fingers.

My question is , what is this black stuff ? is it an algae ? Is it just some water sitting in the pipes for a few months ?

My pool chemistry is

• FC - 3ppm
  • PH - 7.6
  • TA - 90ppm
  • CH - 200
  • CYA - 30 ppm

Hi zea3

The pool solar is about 12 years old , I am not sure of the brand exactly , it looks similar to the Sungrabber perhaps Suntrek, its a glue down system

My plumbing is shown here in the picture, To the Solar and return from the Solar are pipes running up the side of the house the same size as in the picture.

pool solar.jpg

It generally only happens when the panels are not used for an extended period of time so you could probably live with it if wanted to.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.