Black Algae, overtaken my pool. Blow it up? Fill it in?

Yes, you can increase you shock level to 15 or 18 with your CYA 30 to 35ish. PoolCalculator.com says mustard algae shock level is about 22, so I suggest you stay under that.

However, that being said, BA is a tough customer - as Anona with her firsthand experience with it can attest.

As you already know, you have to stay active with the algae brush and keep brushing the heads off the little buggars to let the chlorine in there to kill it. That is what you are doing in the pic :goodjob: Cool, pic, btw and very nice pool. :)

Starting the summer, I was probably at 0. I've not added any in a long time and a test at Leslie's showed none. I didn't have a test kit then.
I purchased a gallon of instant conditioner which stated it would raise to 33 or 35ppm for 10,000 gallons. I think I am around 13,000 gallons. I purchased a tf50 kit and the cya test and I could see the black dot with the tube full.
I then added about 2lbs of dry CYA. The next day, I ran the test and again could still see the black dot with a full tube, little hazy though. Someone on the board told me it could take up to a week for it to completely dissolve and show accurately. So since I only had one test left, I again took a sample to Leslie's and they reported the CYA was 30. I was going to wait another day or two to run my last test. It will take 4 or 5 days to order and get another test kit.

So last night, with no answer to my question about super shock, I guessed and put 2.8 gallons in at dark. I pulled some water, put the dry powder in to test chlorine and the solution turned pink/red for a second, then turned back white. I washed out my jar again and tried again. Same thing; pink/red then white solution. I assumed the chlorine level was so high it was screwing up the test. Any ideas?

So last night, with no answer to my question about super shock, I guessed and put 2.8 gallons in at dark. I pulled some water, put the dry powder in to test chlorine and the solution turned pink/red for a second, then turned back white. I washed out my jar again and tried again. Same thing; pink/red then white solution. I assumed the chlorine level was so high it was screwing up the test. Any ideas?
If the fas/dpd test flashes pink, then goes clear, add more powder.

You can test up to 50ppm with this test.

Yes, break out the calculator. (i would but I am viewing the forum by phone and to switch to phone calculator...I'm not that clever) I'll guess that the liquid have you right at 30 ppm and the 2 lbs must still be calculated. (ah, it does let me return to my post) so that adds 18. Pulling up phone calculator (love my Droid X, first smart phone for me) liquid calculates to 28, so you have a calculated CYA of 46 from those additions. So unless you think you need to round up or down, let's use that.

I will mention that eventually you may fine tune that volume est to better agree with chemical results. I decided my total volume was 1000 gal more than the pool build estimate, maybe the spa and pipes,i dunno, but calcs are on target.

So let's use 45 calculated CYA for now
Edit - so shock level is 18

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.