Toronto, ON
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
I have had a Jacuzzi spa for about 13 years. I use Bromine pucks in a dispenser in the filter to sanitize and I add Spa Shock about once per week or so.

In recent months I am getting black gunk, I assume it is black algae, in spots above the water line - like under the pillows, by some of the buttons, etc. It also gets onto the spa cover. It can be scrubbed away, but it seems to come back.

Any advice on how to treat? I have tried shocking with high levels of Br. Anything else I can try?

If it's above the waterline, it almost sounds more like a scum line. Is it really gummy, might smear, and is really difficult to remove? Have you tried a Magic Eraser on the stuff? I'm guessing this spa is joined to the pool and shares the same water?

Sorry, I never replied back to this. It isn't difficult to remove, it comes off very easily. Since then I have drained the pool and moved from a bromine dispenser to a drape over salt water cell and so far the black stuff has not come back - at least not yet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.