Charlotte, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
So - I noticed last week that my pool seemed low - was down to the bottom of the skimmer, I do not have an auto fill, so I used the hose to bring it back to the middle of the skimmer - a few days later, it was down again. Filled it again, and even stopped using the filter and pump to see if there was any change - no change, still loses about an inch or more a day.

Naturally, I am really concerned - I do not see any spots in the lawn or other indications of where the water is going. I have tried contacting a number of leak detection services, none have called me back. Any ideas? Pool is down below the skimmer now and still leaking.

Finding a leak can be challenging. They aren't always obvious. At the same time, be sure that your local weather isn't a factor such a few windy days. Even in cooler weather, wind can grab a lot of water. But if you're still suspecting a leak, the link below should help give you some ideas to consider. A couple highlights:
- Check the backwash line to ensure water isn't seeping out of the spider gasket
- Use some food dye to check areas you can reach
- Pool lights are a common problem area inside/behind the niche where the conduit enters.
- You might allow the water level to drop a bit and see if it stops. Where it stops at the new waterline is generally where the leak is.
- Since your liner is new, check all seals/gaskets you can get too if not too cold (i.e. steps, returns, etc) with the food dye.

Reactions: Lanzz
Update - leak detection company determined that a return line is leaking - waiting for a repair estimate from them - looking forward to having it fixed as quickly as possible and planning for new liner in the spring as well.

Reactions: Danimal92Sport
Soooo... the pool company did another pressure test when they came back to do the repair. The returns held 20lbs of pressure for over 15 minutes - the tech that came to do the repair does not think there is a leak in the returns. (Even though the leak stopped just under a return - and even though their prior tech diagnosed it as a leak in a return based on a prior pressure test) Using some kind of listening device, he thinks the liner around the steps is leaking. (Which could be true - the liner was put in back in March by a less than scrupulous pool company and will need to be changed again this spring.) The only thing lower in the water would be the light and he said he hears nothing around the light. To more fully rule out the returns, he let them capped and I refilled the pool to the top - he said if it still leaks, then we definitely can rule out the returns. Sure enough - it still leaks. I am on the schedule for a liner in April, I think I have a leaky pool until then. Only thing that really bugs me is that it is going to leak below the skimmer all winter - so I need to use the robot and liquid chlorine or go broke adding 3,000 gallons of water a week to run the filter.

I had a leak in the pool niche, so I added a temp skimmer bypass, the white pipe turning left
manual-vac-suction-1-jpg.161688

manual-vac-suction-2-jpg.161689

Turned off skimmer using a Jandy valve, so water drawn from the pool would be from main & this bypass. This way I could still run the pool equipment after letting the water level drop to where it stopped leaking.

Reactions: Lanzz
Good idea, diane. I may end up doing that - because it is going to be a long cold winter putting in liquid chlorine and running the robot twice a day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.