Beware of Pool Service Companies

May 16, 2018
Dunnellon, FL
Hired a pool service company. Arranged to be here to talk the tech thru the pool. I keep CYA low @ 30-40 so I can keep chlorine level low. Live in a swamp and tend to get Mustard algae so chlorine level must be higher than I would like already. Also, keep TA @ 60-70 fo keep ph from rising too fast. The tech comes to the house, does NOT knock on the door or let me know he’s here. Dumps a load of bicarb and sanitizer in the pool. CYA now 90 and TA now 125. CSI @ -.49. This is someone that tests pool daily and keeps CSI between -.01 - .01. I realize they cant be as fastidious as I am, but holy cow!

Last edited:

So why did you hire a pool service in the first place?

No way they can keep your pool the way you can keep your pool.

Thanks,

Jim
Point is we should be able to hire a pool service company for those times we are unavailable to tend to the pool ourselves that wont trash your pool. Especially CYA where you have to drain and fill the pool. Or, throws a bunch of metal in the pool to get rid of algae.

Reactions: kul and BowserB
Kinda ironic that, along with hiring a pool service company to manage a pool, we have to train the pool service tech to do it correctly. Then pay him while he’s getting his OJT.

Sounds like a bit of a misunderstanding. You were under the impression you were hiring someone to run your pool the way you want it run. That's not how pool companies operate. They manage dozens or hundreds of pools and they do that by creating a repeatable, fast, and cost efficient system. It's not personalized and they have a schedule that doesn't involve seeking your input.

If you want to hire someone to run your pool the way you want it run then you'll have to find someone yourself, not contract a company. Then you'll have to train them yourself, while paying them, and if you want to keep them you'll have to give them enough hours and payment to continue to do it.

Reactions: kul and BowserB
Sounds like a bit of a misunderstanding. You were under the impression you were hiring someone to run your pool the way you want it run. That's not how pool companies operate. They manage dozens or hundreds of pools and they do that by creating a repeatable, fast, and cost efficient system. It's not personalized and they have a schedule that doesn't involve seeking your input.

If you want to hire someone to run your pool the way you want it run then you'll have to find someone yourself, not contract a company. Then you'll have to train them yourself, while paying them, and if you want to keep them you'll have to give them enough hours and payment to continue to do it.
Funny you say that. Been in business for years. Know how to manage people and projects. But when they say they will do what you want and then dont. Talking out of both sides of their mouth, that’s just flat out bad business practice. They say they will manage your pool, then turn around and manage their pool their way. And managing a pool outside CSI numbers -0.3 to 0.3 is NOT managing a pool. Its not unreasonable to expect a pool company not to damage pool plaster or destroy the heater. Not to metion the Chlorine level was 18ppm 24 hours after he was here. Note he left said safe to swim after 2 hrs. Noted he put in bicarb, sanitizer and acid but not chlorine. There was also already a chlorine floater in the pool in plain sight. Tell me, why would it be a good idea to throw a gallon of chlorine in a pool already at 6ppm with perfect -.01 CSI? Just curious.

Last edited:
Been in business for years. Know how to manage people and projects
Oh? And since you know these things I'm betting you run these people and projects the way you run them and don't appreciate when other people tell you that you don't know how to do your job. Certainly no lesson to take away there.

They say they will manage your pool, then turn around and manage their pool their way.
What, they operate their business the way they operate their business? I am shocked sir, shocked.

If you aren't happy with the way they manage your pool then don't hire them. That's the beginning, middle, and end of the conversation. As for my opinion of their care methods, that's irrelevant. If you'd have asked us if you should hire a company we would have told you no. You didn't. You hired them based on unrealistic assumptions. And here we are.

Reactions: BowserB
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.