Best way to top off without paying for water hauling truck?

Feb 23, 2017
Saline, MI
I just got my pool (salt water) this summer and had to refill once at a cost of $350 for ~4-6,000 gallons. This sucks, especially since I got like zero rain all of July. I use a cover, but it doesn't stop water from splashing out when we use it, loss from backwash, and some evaporation loss.

I worry about introducing minerals into my pool that could be destructive to my equipment and add things that will remove clarity from the water/add stains to it.

House water (through water softner):
CH: 0
TA: 270

Hose water (direct from well:
CH: 500
TA: 270

I plan on taking two samples to my local pool place to test for iron and copper.

Some solutions as I see it:
  • Some sort of iron/copper out filter in the basement going to the outside spicket.
    Expensive, but permanent.
  • Hose attached filter like this from amazon. Things like this mineral out liquid aren't recommend for pools with a SWG.
    Somewhat inexpensive, but may not do much to remove iron and copper.
  • Top off from a faucent in the house (run a hose through a windows).
    I could use an amazon filter off of this to clear mineral out even further.

Any suggestions for a guy looking to stop the expensive water truck deliveries for smaller top off's?

I would confirm that you have metals first before you take any actions.

Copper should not be present in ground water. Even if iron is present in the well, it may not be at a level that is detectable OR it may not matter a whole bunch. If you had iron in your well water, then your water softener would likely get damaged over time as metals cause irreversible damage to the ion exchange resin in the softener (this is why wells with metals will sometimes have pre-filters to lower metal levels before the water enters the softener).

Obviously you're on the right track - either you have to pony-up for an expensive iron filter and run that to an outdoor spigot for a permanent solution OR you have to come up with temporary filters and hope that the recurring cost isn't too high. Many of the hose-end type filters can reduce metals but they have very limited capacities and can run out quickly.

Reducing evaporation is key and it sounds like you're using a cover to the best of your ability. You could also consider getting rid of the sand filter and stop losing water to backwashing. In drought-prone areas where water is not cheap, many pool owners use cartridge filters to avoid the water loss from backwashing. An oversized cartridge filter could go an entire swim season without needing to be cleaned and that can save you from using pool water up to backwash.

My sister lives in MI and has a well with a lot of iron.
She uses iron filters on her hose and in over 10 years I can honestly say she has never had a problem with iron in her pool. Now in her house that is a different story.

My sister lives in MI and has a well with a lot of iron.
She uses iron filters on her hose and in over 10 years I can honestly say she has never had a problem with iron in her pool. Now in her house that is a different story.
I'll have my house and well water tested at my local pool supply place and see what, if anything, they recommend. Thanks for the tips :)

This one from Pentek works pretty well, it filters down to 1 micron. I've also used filters that go down to 5 microns when filling my poll. You'll want to read up on metal staining so you know what to look for.

View attachment 67963
Very cool! Where can I pick up one fo the cartridge hose adapter things?

***Edit***

Found these on amazon for cheaper than that other website.
Houseing: https://www.amazon.com/Pentek-150237-Filter-Housing-Female/dp/B0045LUE4W/ref=pd_sim_328_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0045LUE4W&pd_rd_r=N995Y3M1521AXRMVK6MT&pd_rd_w=v4Kiz&pd_rd_wg=7mwUP&psc=1&refRID=N995Y3M1521AXRMVK6MT
Filter: https://www.amazon.com/Pentek-DGD-2501-Polypropylene-Filter-Cartridge/dp/B0014C09XG/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Is 1 micron small enough to filter out iron and copper?

I bought them at home depot, here is another thread about iron that I linked to them.

1 micron will only remove the oxidized iron, there will still be suspended iron in the water that you cannot filter out. It builds up over time and can cause staining. There are many threads on how to deal with this issue, Ascorbic acid treatment. Also search for Proteam Metal Magic. The only way to remove copper is to drain and refill.

I bought them at home depot, here is another thread about iron that I linked to them.

1 micron will only remove the oxidized iron, there will still be suspended iron in the water that you cannot filter out. It builds up over time and can cause staining. There are many threads on how to deal with this issue, Ascorbic acid treatment. Also search for Proteam Metal Magic. The only way to remove copper is to drain and refill.

You are the man! I ordered a .5 micron filter and the cartridge thing to hold it and placed an order on Home Depot for the adapter. I just have to pick up the faucet adapter and a new length of hose.

I'll have my water tested after I putt it through this setup and before I fill my pool. Thanks for all the help!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your are very welcome. Could you provide me a link to this .5 micron filter?

No clue if the extra .5 microns of filtering will make a bit of difference, but whatever;)

I got this for $17.48 shipped (Michigan tax) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0030ZD7MU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

**Update**
Sorry, I made this post on my phone and gave you the wrong URL. I've updated the URL to the correct product. I'll post my water levels with and without this after I have everything hooked up and I take it in to get the minerals (iron/copper) checked.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.