Best way to start up or shock for SWG

Add CYA now.
Then add bleach to boost your FC level
Once you get those two levels set, then it's ok to start the SWG

Use the Chlorine/ CYA chart and Recommend Levels articles to set the water balance.

It's a bit off topic, but if your SWG has copper plates, we advise to at least disconnect the wires going to the copper plates. Copper in the water is bad.

The needed FC level is based on your CYA level. Typically around 6ppm.
Then use PoolMath to get the needed FC.
6ppm is 93 oz (about 3 quarts) of 8.25% bleach.
So if your FC is 0, then add 3 quarts of bleach. Try PoolMath with your numbers.

SWGs have a finite life in # of hours. Using bleach is much easier and faster.

Can I not run the "boost" cycle on the SWG? To increase the FC levels?

The needed FC level is based on your CYA level. Typically around 6ppm.
Then use PoolMath to get the needed FC.
6ppm is 93 oz (about 3 quarts) of 8.25% bleach.
So if your FC is 0, then add 3 quarts of bleach. Try PoolMath with your numbers.

SWGs have a finite life in # of hours. Using bleach is much easier and faster.

I tried the bleach method one year with my Morgan AGP. I couldn't ever get it to work for me. Let me test my water.

Can I not run the "boost" cycle on the SWG? To increase the FC levels?

I'm just saying to add bleach to get your FC up to the proper level. Then turn on the SWG.

Ok. I've added bleach to get to shock level.
CYA...50-55 (still low but just added today)
FC...28
CC...20
Still running SWG. Do I still need to keep it on? When will FC levels drop down to normal?
Ugh!! May get more rain again tonight!! May have to drain some!! What now??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Are you in the SLAM process? Why did you go to "shock" level?
If you are slamming then turn your SWG off and use only liquid chlorine to SLAM. The SWG cannot produce chlorine fast enough for the SLAM process and you wouldn't want to put that kind of load on the SWG.

On the other hand if your water is beautiful and you just want to start using the SWG, then you don't need to be at slam levels for chlorine. Use the FC level in Recommended Levels article and Chlorine/CYA Chart in PoolSchool.

Are you in the SLAM process? Why did you go to "shock" level?
If you are slamming then turn your SWG off and use only liquid chlorine to SLAM. The SWG cannot produce chlorine fast enough for the SLAM process and you wouldn't want to put that kind of load on the SWG.

On the other hand if your water is beautiful and you just want to start using the SWG, then you don't need to be at slam levels for chlorine. Use the FC level in Recommended Levels article and Chlorine/CYA Chart in PoolSchool.

I went to shock level because it was just filled up and had been sitting without any chlorine for a few days.

OCLT=

Overnight
Chlorine
Loss
Test

Chlorine gets consumed by two things basically. Organics in your pool and sunlight. By checking your FC after sunset and just before sunrise you can see if you're losing chlorine to organics (algae) but not sunlight. Little (less than 1 ppm) loss on the OCLT pretty much rules out algae.

Now....with that said, you'd want to ideally keep your pump running but your SWG off. The OCLT is pointless if running a SWG that is producing chlorine overnight.

In that case use the bleach to raise the FC. Do an OCLT. Assuming you pass, let FC drift down to regular level, then start the SWG.

OCLT=

Overnight
Chlorine
Loss
Test

Chlorine gets consumed by two things basically. Organics in your pool and sunlight. By checking your FC after sunset and just before sunrise you can see if you're losing chlorine to organics (algae) but not sunlight. Little (less than 1 ppm) loss on the OCLT pretty much rules out algae.

Now....with that said, you'd want to ideally keep your pump running but your SWG off. The OCLT is pointless if running a SWG that is producing chlorine overnight.

Awesome. Thank you!!! I've had my pump/filter running today, but not the SWG. I will do an FC check tonight and in the am.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.