Best way to install skimmer butterfly gasket

What type of pool are you installing the skimmer onto? Is this a traditional hard-walled pool, or is this a soft wall Intex style pool?

There is a link in my signature to my thru wall skimmer install into my Intex pool.

I am do this for the first time this weekend. I was planning to go with something similar to #1. Except filling the pool to near the bottom of the skimmer frame before cutting the liner.

I am installing a new liner and have seen two ways of using the skimmer butterfly gasket.
1) place gasket on wall then install skimmer, then cut liner.
2) cut liner, place gasket over liner and wall, then install skimmer.
What is the best way of using the gasket.

The butterfly gasket is made to be installed after the liner is cut. It is designed to go over both the inside and outside at the same time, essentially sealing off the gap between liner and pool wall making it impossible for water to get behind the liner.

Reactions: noeffort
The butterfly gasket is made to be installed after the liner is cut. It is designed to go over both the inside and outside at the same time, essentially sealing off the gap between liner and pool wall making it impossible for water to get behind the liner.

Would you still use the gasket that is in the face plate, or would you take it out because the face plate would be sitting on top of the butterfly gasket.

And if placing gasket over the liner and using wall foam, would you still cut out the foam leaving room for the gasket, or would you cut the foam right at the skimmer opening

I did install the wall foam also. Like most directions from the manufacturers or pool store, there were no instructions for foam or they were vague. I am going to cut out a rectangle piece of foam ( I have the Hayward WM model) slightly bigger than the gasket. I am going to use the butterfly gasket btwn the inside wall and outside wall. I am going to use the faceplate gasket on the water side of the liner.

I just changed out my skimmer (the old one was cracked).

When I put my liner in, I cut the wall foam back from the edge of the skmmer (and return) opening. - as per the wall foam instructions. You do not want wall foam behind your skimmer face plate or your return.

My old skimmer had a two piece gasket, which I used again when I put it back in during my liner replacement. I asssembled the entire skimmer, and then cut out the liner.

With my new skimmer, with the butterfly, or "wall saver" gasket, the included instructions (Hayward) said to first mount the skimmer with the gasket in the inside of the pool, and cut out the liner - being careful not to cut the gasket, then remove the whole skimmer assembly, place the gasket with one half on the outside and the other half on the inside, sandwitching the liner and the wall between the two parts of the gasket and then remount the skimmer. This ensures that you get the holes for the screws in the right spots in the liner.

When I replaced mine, clearly I did not have to cut my liner again. The gasket went in over the edge of the wall and liner, and lined up with the existing holes. There was no extra gasket for the faceplate - all it came with, and all the instructions mentioned was the butterfly (which they call wall saver) gasket.

-dave

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I battling with some (shoddy) installers right now who insist that the butterfly gasket only works when BEHIND the liner, supposedly they have done pools like this for several years. I think they are just trying to cut corners so they don't have to reseat the skimmer faceplate.

Hayward instructions for 1091 installation state to place the butterfly gasket first and cut liner when fully installed; there is no disassembly/reassembly. This implies: skimmer faceplate then liner then gasket (already installed in wall opening) then skimmer body, tighten and cut out liner in skimmer face. I see why some recommend placing the liner inside the gasket, but IMHO it is not necessary and in addition poses some risk of liner shifting/creasing within gasket during gasket installation. I suppose if you wanted some insurance (which I think is unnecessary) you could add a suitable sealant/adhesive to the back of the faceplate during installation, but this would make it permanent and you would need a new faceplate upon the next liner change (or clean a mess on the back of the faceplate).

On the older questions about wall foam. Install the wall foam fully covering the openings, cut back 2-3 inches from the skimmer and return openings (a bowl or compass is useful for the latter to make a line and round cut). If using the recommended adhesive or similar the foam will pull off easily to the cuts. Gorilla duct tape neatly 3 times or so over the seams between the wall foam and pool wall so it looks good when the liner is installed over it - stagger the tape for each layer so it is a smooth transition.

Similarly, make sure there is 2 or more inch gap at the top of the foam on the walls all the way round and duct tape perhaps only two passes all the way around (again staggered between passes). Then the liner clips (overlap liner) will seat easily and so on. The joint between the pool foam and pool wall will not be visible from outside the pool because of the top rails. Suggestion for taller pools: Take a compass with thick pencil in it (or block of wood/ something else cut to size), set the distance you want, and walk around the pool marking a line the height to which the foam should be installed.

Reactions: badams
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.