Best Way to Get Rid of Acorn Stains?

Jun 4, 2018
Houston, Texas
We've lived in this house for four years now, and this is the first year we've had a real problem with acorns winding up in the pool. We have five very tall oak trees in our backyard, so I guess, if anything, I'm surprised this problem hasn't happened before.

Right now, our oak trees are dropping a lot of acorns. Every morning, I'm getting out there and having to scoop or suction out a couple of dozen or more acorns from the bottom of the pool. They play heck with my Hayward Pool Vac XL, jamming it up, so I have to use a net or a manual vac (the kind with rollers and weights) to stay on top of things. Despite my efforts, occasionally an acorn will leave a brown spot on the bottom. I've tried brushing at the stains with a pool brush, and it doesn't do any good. I'm wondering first of all if these stains are something that will permanently mark the pool, or if they will fade over time. The oldest stain is about a month old now, and it's still looking pretty fresh. Given that this house is 48 years old and that the pool is at least 30 years old, and given that the surface was very blemish free prior to this season's acorn dump, I'm hopeful that this sort of stain will fade over time.

The pool's surface is still in good repair, and I want to keep it that way, so I'm not at all interested in trying any sort of treatment that may damage it, so that's why I'm asking here about the best way to proceed. Or is this something I can just safely ignore?

Michael, the stains should fade over time. Depending on your FC/CYA ratio, it could take a little while. When you look at the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA], you might use a slightly stronger FC ratio for a week or two to see if that helps. Use your trusty TF-100 (or Taylor K-2006) test kit to ensure the FC and CYA are balanced where you need it. Have a good weekend.

Chlorine tablets and a brush to move the tablet around on the pool bottom. Leave the chlorine tablet on the stains for approximate 2-3 minutes and shuffle the tablet to the next stain. I had 100's of them and this was the best solution.

Thanks for all the advice, y'all. So far, I haven't done anything. I've been waiting to see if I can detect any fade at all. And I'm happy to report that the oldest stains are indeed beginning to fade. Good thing, since right now my pool is under a heavy bombardment from three of the five oak trees we have in the back yard. Every morning I go out there and there may be as many as 50 acorns on the bottom of the pool. The back yard is covered in a carpet of the durn things. Can't step anywhere without stepping on at least a few acorns, so going barefoot is literally a pain.

The oak trees are live oaks, which supposedly keep their leaves year round. They will dump them, however, if a hard freeze hits. Like it did last year, and the result was a pool completely covered in leaves for a few weeks. Soon as we'd skim it, more leaves would fall. So far this year the amount of leaves we've been getting in the pool is about average. But all those acorns are driving me, and my vacuum-powered pool cleaner, nuts! (oops, a pun)

Which has gotten me to thinking about a pool cover. Do any of you folks use a cover? Is there one you'd recommend that doesn't require installation? One I could just unfurl over the pool and then maybe anchor with weights or something?

I would think any mesh leaf cover would work for you.
Leave it on when the trees are dropping the acorns, and or leaves.
You then could remove it, or just leave in place until you reopen the pool

I have a lop-loc safety mesh cover, and covered my pool as soon as the leaves started falling, I just use a air blower to blow the leaves off the cover

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.