Southern Ontario Canada.
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Feel like this is a super dumb Q, but this is my first year closing my pool. When drawing down water for closing, should I do this through my pump and filter on backwash or rinse setting? Or is it better to just set up a hose and siphon the water out? Many thanks.

Not knowing what type of filter you have, or info about your pool.....<Hint! time for a siggy line found under Settings>

If you just dropping the water down below the skimmer amd have a main drain, you can use the filter's Waste option.

If you need to do more I would suggest a hose and some old fashioned siphoning. Youtube has videos on how to siphon.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: thefloatqueen
Not knowing what type of filter you have, or info about your pool.....<Hint! time for a siggy line found under Settings>

If you just dropping the water down below the skimmer amd have a main drain, you can use the filter's Waste option.

If you need to do more I would suggest a hose and some old fashioned siphoning. Youtube has videos on how to siphon.

Maddie :flower:
Thanks. And yes good idea I will add some info to the sig line! I have a 15,000 gallon salt water semi inground pool with a Hayward filter.

Depending on how much I need to drain, I’ll use either a submersible pump (takes forever lol) or connect the backwash hose to my sand filter and put it on “waste” mode so the water bypasses any of the sand media and drains the water SUPER fast. Obviously, I can only do the latter if I’m not draining below the skimmer. You could also do a combination of both. Good luck!!

Oh, and it is a very good idea to do a good backwash and rinse before closing regardless (assuming you have a SAND filter), but if you’ve already done that and just want to drain water fast before closing, the “waste” option would be the way to go!

Since I'm able to keep an eye on it, I use the backwash setting first to clean the filter, then switch to waste setting. When the water level gets too to use the pump, we use a submersible pump to remove what's left till we get to several inches below the return opening.

should I do this through my pump and filter on backwash or rinse setting?
What type of filter? DE / Sand? I wouldn't push a few hundred gallons of water through the filter if the DE grids are still in there - can't speak for how it works with sand. Once I take my grids out, I use the backwash setting and have a custom-made pipe that connects to a vacuum hose.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.