Best way to clean heavy sediment from unclosed Southern pool?

Mar 26, 2017
Greenville SC
So I didn't close my pool all winter since I'm in SC and only ran the pump in freezing conditions. I didn't bother with any additives or covering and the water remained clear and blue all winter. The weather has been nice lately and I'd like to clean the pool to prepare for opening since its just now started to get cloudy with the warm weather. Yesterday I swept the entire pool towards the deep end to the point where the shallow end is clear and the main drain is hidden by all the sediment in the deep end. Mainly I went by this method-

Fastest Easy Way To Sweep Algae - YouTube

I just want to confirm that now vacuuming the deep end is the easiest way to get a winter's worth of sediment out of the pool? Should I just go ahead and vacuum to waste or just leave the pump on filter? This is all in preparation for shocking the pool with many gallons of bleach in a week or two.

I would not use the MD to clear a pool. There are dozens of posts where the MD was clogged because the owner tried to clear a pool that way.

A leaf rake is going to be the easiest way to clear the debris and then a SLAM is probably the next step.

standard-leaf-rake.jpg

If the debris is just dust like, then vacuuming or pushing to the MD is fine. It is just leaves that can cause a problem with the MD.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.