Best product for chlorine maintenance

Southern Swimming

In The Industry
Oct 21, 2020
Hi everyone,

I have a pool company in Louisiana and have recently started implementing TFP methodology rather than buying all kinds of specialty chemicals from Leslie’s and it has been working great! I’ve used it to clean 7 swampy green pools to crystal clear. Several of those customers have requested my services for weekly pool maintenance now. Typically I use cal hypo powder to maintain free chlorine levels at 5ppm. After reading many threads on the forum, I’m curious to what y’all typically use for chlorine maintenance.

Tri-Chloe tablets are what the pool store I’m partnered with suggests but obviously this has resulted in high stabilizer levels for many customers. Lately, I’ve been using cal hypo shock treatments once a week to keep chlorine levels at a preventative level but now I’m aware that it can lead to calcium stability problems. Is sodium hypo in bleach form the preferred maintenance chemical? If so, how can I use it in a cost effective way to prevent transferring the cost to clients? Is there an automatic/ trickle feeding system that I can use to produce a steady stream of chlorine injection, similar to chlorine tablet feeders?

I appreciate the time and advice y’all provide and, please, mention factors and issues that I may be overlooking.

Hey SS and Welcome !! In short, chlorine pools need daily monitoring with liquid chlorine additions. Once you get to know how the pool behaves, you can guesstimate a day or two but then need to test again or it’s a recipe for disaster. This is the downfall to the typical once a week ‘pool guy’.

So what do they do then ? They shock the pool to juice the FC and use stabilized pucks to release more during the week, hoping to make it to the next visit. But the stabilizer is either CYA or Calcium and that path all but guarantees problems too. So they invent some science-y sounding names like ‘chlorine lock’ to explain why they need to drain the (possibly already green) pool.

Getting your clients on an SWG would add the chlorine for you all week and it will be just how you left it next time. If the customers want a more economical method, a chlorine pump would work just as well. (Upfront cost at least, over time the liquid chlorine costs pretty much wash with a SWG) You would be providing the lugging/filling of the jugs that make most people want to leave liquid chlorine so they wouldn’t have the headache. Stenner liquid chlorine pump - How to choose and install

Reactions: Mdragger88
If you would teach them how to add x amount of liquid chlorine daily, then you handle the cleaning, brushing and other needs of the pool along with testing weekly (TF-100 is ideal kit) you might be able to work this out.

Southern swimming. If you’re a commercial outfit making money out of the advice from the friendly guys and gals on here I think you should consider paying a donation.
☝What James said.
This forum has a wealth of information that will save you money from $20 to $50 to $100 and more.
Take some time out and read about donating, it's a good thing and the right thing to do...just saying.
Now back to your normal programing....

Reactions: MiguelACA
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.