Best pool cleaner for above ground?

Some things to check would be:

1. Are all of the hose sections properly connected?
2. Is the hose properly connected to the skimmer?
3. Is there any large debris obstructing flow at the cleaner?
4. Backwash the filter and observe for continued operation.

If all of this fails, I would conclude that the cleaner needs repair or replacement. Your pump/filter combo is very similar to what I'm using and I've had no issue with sufficient suction power. Before buying my Pentair GW8000 Kreepy Krauly Lil Shark that I'm currently using I had a Baracuda Ranger ($130). The Baracuda worked fine until the diaphragm wore out after 2 years. I decided to change models for no other reason.

Some things to check would be:

1. Are all of the hose sections properly connected?
2. Is the hose properly connected to the skimmer?
3. Is there any large debris obstructing flow at the cleaner?
4. Backwash the filter and observe for continued operation.

If all of this fails, I would conclude that the cleaner needs repair or replacement. Your pump/filter combo is very similar to what I'm using and I've had no issue with sufficient suction power. Before buying my Pentair GW8000 Kreepy Krauly Lil Shark that I'm currently using I had a Baracuda Ranger ($130). The Baracuda worked fine until the diaphragm wore out after 2 years. I decided to change models for no other reason.

THANKS, those are all really good points. I think I remember doubting the integrity of the hose sections. Maybe we will replace the hose and see what happens. All other connections were good.

THANKS for the suggestions!

I'm using a 40' hose. I have 2 unused sets of the hose sections that came with my cleaners. The sections do seem to connect securely but you never know unless you double check each.

You'd want a 40' too. My pool is 15' x 30' so there's extra hose so that the cleaner can freely reach the far side. A 40' hose goes for $40 to $50.

I've been using the Robot Kleen for a number of years and they do a great job, they don't climb wall it's just for the bottom. The one I bought was used I just wanted to see if it'd work on my pool because it's deeper in the middle. Sometimes it kind of stalls on its way up but then it reverses direction and continues to work.
The problem with these Robot Kleen is that they are unreliable and they're hard to fix. I have bought 3 of them, all used so now I have spare parts that I have swapped. The main suction motor died in one and the main controller died in the other. However if you know how to fix them they do an amazing job at cleaning and they save a lot of energy compare to running the pool pump.
Just my $0.02
Henry.

I just picked up a Rover Jr. Of Craigslist for $50! Crazy deal and its only 2 yrs old.

This cleaner is pretty excellent. It pics up a surprising amount of stuff. Its a robot that works independently from your pump, saves energy because of this. It has its own filter bag so your main filter stays cleaner longer and your pump will most likely last longer.

Even though the filter bag will be covered with a lot of dirt and sand, I do think sand is harder for this cleaner to pick up. Bags can be kinda nasty to clean. Takes some learning to keep the cord from twisting.

More positives then negatives on the Rover Jr.

I like it a lot.

Sorry guys, stupid question of the day. I was just getting ready to place an order for a 40' hose and I see there are 1 1/2" and 1 1/4". What size do I need for my Wanda?

Also, are there different qualities to look for in a hose? Some of them are more expensive then others. I am a quality over quantity type of girl. I want to buy something that I don't have to re-purchase again for a while.

THANKS!!!

First of all I have Wanda. Also have a 1HP pump and similar size above ground pool. You may have a lot of junk in your pool and Wanda may be slowing when the filter needs back-washed. I had to backwash quite a bit when we opened this pool after moving into a new home. If you see bubbles in your pump skimmer basket your hoses are not connected all the way or you have a hole in the hose.

THANKS!!! I am thinking it is probably the hose. We have ordered a new 40' hose and a reel for the hose and are hoping that will fix the issue. It seems like we would get bubbles in the pump skimmer basket.

We still need yo bring the water level up for the year to be able to get the pump/filter running. We live in the country and are on a well so we have been doing it a little at a time. Plus we have been getting a fair amount of rain this spring. We purchased a used trash pump yesterday and will probably haul some water from the bulk station this weekend.
THANKS for the input.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When I remove my 40' hose from the pool, I like to lay it straight and still attached to my Pentair cleaner. I have a fairly large wood deck surrounding my 15' x 30' AGP so it's easy to do this. I found that once when I stored the hose in my pool box for a day or so that it tended to curl up once in the pool as it was in the box. What I learned is that the hose has memory.

OK, latest update. We have our water level up!!!!:D That was a lot of work, but we got it done earlier today. We did get the pump running. We have hand skimmed everything out of the pool that we can. The water is green, but we can see the bottom of the pool in a lot of areas when the sun is shining on it. We can certainly see there is a layer of ???? greenish dust/gunk on the bottom. When I take the broom to it you can easily stir it up and get it floating in the water. There is no debris like leaves or anything that we can see.

Our 40' hose arrived along with the reel to keep it on. We hooked Wanda up and she has great suction. Lots of suction coming out of the bottom, but her little feet won't get moving. She just sits where we put her. We have lifted her up, but keeping her under the water and turned her over and her feet are not moving at all. Disappointed. Can anyone tell me what powers her little feet to get moving? It must somehow work from the suction, but they won't move. I will do some of my own research, but I would love to hear from the experts on here.

I think the pool will clean up really quickly if we can get this layer of stuff off the bottom.

THANKS so much!!!

Bump......

Anyone? I know the site has been having issues, but thought I would bump to see if any one can help.

I am willing to take the plunge and purchase another cleaner, but I don't know if it is the cleaner or some other issue at this point. I have been working the slam process, but I can see the bottom still is "dusty" looking. I have brushed the bottom, as much of it as I can reach anyway, and it seems to keep settling to the bottom.

I have the Red Leopard Orbit suction cleaner for my AGP. Browsed around and got it for $175 so I guess it's considered middle of the road, price wise. It comes with 37' of hose which is perfect for my 33' pool. As with many of the cleaners, it comes with an adapter to attach it inside the skimmer without the basket inside, meaning the pump basket catches the debris. Instead, I use the attachment for my manual vac to attach the Orbit to the skimmer over the skimmer basket so it is easier for me to clean out (getting my pump basket opened and closed again requires taps with a rubber mallet so the less I have to open it, the better I like it). The Orbit does not go all the way up the the waterline but does go above the cove and everywhere on the bottom. I let it run for 3-4 hours when the pump is on during the day and the pool stays super clean all the time! :whoot:

I've never used any suction cleaners in the Wanda family so I don't have any tips for what to look for as far as an easy fix. Unless the cost is an issue, I'd buy an new suction cleaner such as layla is using. The Red Leopard Orbit seems to be a similar design as the Baracuda line which I've used. I had very good results from my Baracuda. The trick is getting a true random pattern without it wanting to "hang out" in the same area. Too much water current is what causes that problem from my experience.

I say buy one from Amazon where you should be able to return it if it didn't perform.

THANKS!!!! The cost is not an issue, the function is. I guess I am trying to figure out a way to see if it is Wanda that is not working or if there is an issue with the suction hose, the skimmer or the way it is connecting to the skimmer.

Hadn't thought about purchasing one and then returning it if that doesn't fix the problem.

I think our water is getting really clear, but the stuff on the bottom still needs to be cleaned up.

Did you get your Wanda up and running? I have the Aquabug and sometimes mine will stop if it picks up a small twig or seed pods from an overhanging tree. The cleaner uses a turbine and the incoming flow of water from the suction to operate the foot movement. Sometimes I find that my tree debris will cause the turbine to stop resulting in no movement. If I find this, I can sometimes lift up the cleaner while it is still underwater and press on either end of the foot and it will start moving again. Other times, I have to remove the cleaner from the pool, remove the throat and inspect the turbine for debris. Most of the time, it will fall right out when I tilt the cleaner upside down but I haven't had to do this very often. Most of the time, I can push on the front or back side of the pod (foot assembly) with the cleaner still underwater and suction on and it will start moving again.

Suction side cleaners are suitable for aboveground or inground pools. But robotic pool cleaners are often recognized as the most efficient automatic pool cleaners . They have their own system and so it reduces the wear and tear on the pump and filter system. Also They are high performing and fast. [URL="http://www.soldapools.com/"]My pool builder in Oakville[/URL] recommended Robotic pool cleaner . I have been using one and i am very satisfied with it’s performance .

Doing a google search I am planning on sticking with my suction cleaner unless someone has adviceon a robot none seem to be able to handle a 42 foot AG. Some will do thefloor but without getting the sides would it bewotth it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.