Best Places to Buy Liquid Chlorine

Just curious...I've tried the liquid Chlorine here in Houston/Katy area like you and during the summer it just seems I can't maintain proper levels. So for the past few years I've used liquid during winter and spring and tablets rest of the year. I prefer to switch full time to liquid chlorine, so curious ...to maintain proper levels during the hot summers in Houston... is this pouring like a half gallon or a gallon every day to maintain levels? This seems like a hassle, costly and I'm sure would also damage a few items of clothing...LOL. Just curious how you routine looks like in the summer months. Thank You
So according to my Pool Math logs - from May 1st to Oct 31, I used 30 gals of LC (some was at 10% and some at 12.5%) - so that is roughly 5 gals a month which seems low, however my CYA was running a little high at 80 so once I got my FC level up, it was easy to keep it there. Also, I did make small (3-4 day) trips to see family and I did use tablets during that time (which is why my CYA was running high). In looking back, in August, I was using 24-32 oz of LC per day. Not sure all of this makes sense but I tried to keep my Pool Math logs current so I believe the data is fairly accurate. Right now, my CYA is low (at 40) and currently using 16-24 oz every couple of days. But my CYA will come up in time because of use of pucks when I visit family.

My cost for LC is about $4/gal (I buy at Leslie's, Home Depot and Pinch A Penny). PaP has the better deal but they are not as convenient to me as the other 2 options. I have considered purchasing a SWCG which will also necessitate me to make some other upgrades, however, I have some other things going on now so that is on a back burner

The LC works for me, the pool is crystal clear. FYI, in that same 6 month period (180 days), according to Pool Math, I did 100 tests for FC so that is about every 2nd day I was testing to ensure my FC was accurate.

If you don't have PoolMath - it is very helpful and I do not have to create Excel Spreadsheets to provide the data above. Great stuff!!!!!!

Menards Hamilton OH net 2.99/gal after rebate, sale started wed.; 12.5%; date code 21098
bogo or no bogo this year??
If I were a betting man, I would put money on no BOGO this year since we are close to the time when it normally starts and it appears that the 11% will continue through the period that it is normally advertised.

Plus the stock levels are going up at my store but not to the levels during the BOGO sale.

I hope to loose the bet however since this is by far the least expensive place for me to purchase liquid chlorine.

Reactions: kimmielea
Menards Florence KY, Cincinnati area $3.99/gal 12.5%, 21090 date code, current 11% rebate net 3.55, had at least 20 cases of 4 gallons. 4/18
im down in auburn, ky which is about a little over an hr from the nearest Menards (Owensboro). Id like to purchase quite a bit since my local dealer has 10% for $4ish. How long is stored in my garage would you recommend storing 12.5%? if its only a month it probably wouldnt be economical to make the trip but if i can buy a whole years worth it would. thanks

im down in auburn, ky which is about a little over an hr from the nearest Menards (Owensboro). Id like to purchase quite a bit since my local dealer has 10% for $4ish. How long is stored in my garage would you recommend storing 12.5%? if its only a month it probably wouldnt be economical to make the trip but if i can buy a whole years worth it would. thanks
Most here "poo poo" cal-hyp powder. In 50kb containers it is about $3/lb, delivered. It does not go bad over time. Yes, it raises CH, but not like CYA. And it is a lot less messy than LC.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Anyone in the Greenville SC area able to find any bleach? Both HD and Lowe's here are trying to pawn off last year's stock on everyone before restocking (were talking November 2020 or earlier here) and the local Walmarts either haven't done their seasonal stocking of bleach or people are buying it by the pallet because of Covid. I'm about to have to buy 6-8 month old bleach just to stay ahead in the coming heat.

Ace Hardware in Dallas area has 10% on sale for $3/gallon through 4/30. I couldn't tell how fresh it is as the numbers on the bottle don't follow the typical format of YYDDD but I decided to roll the dice at this price. It's giving me the bump in chlorine levels that poolmath suggests so i guess that means it is reasonably fresh.

Reactions: GDN
Hello! cn you recommend me a pool chlorine, please? I found these article, but i just got a pool, so i don't know about this anything)
None of those are recommended here.

Liquid chlorine aka bleach is the preferred source of chlorine.

For a new person, start here:

Leslie's (Houston, TX area) has a 4 gallon box of Liquid Chlorine (4 separate gallon jugs) for $21.99 + tax. This was $16.99 a year ago and went to $19.99 by end of 2020 and now $21.99. All is 12.5%.

Pinch a Penny is still a better deal for a single 2.5 gal jug for $7.88 but it is 10.5% LC

In our local neighborhood forum, there is a group for pool owners, and many are asking how to use LC because they cannot get chlorine pucks. This is my assumption why Leslie's has increased pricing to take advantage of demand increase. I do not know if they increased price of pucks because I have enough stock for when I go away for 2-3 days at a time.

Anyone know where to get Bulk LC in the DFW area, preferably the Ft Worth side? Maybe going in on a bulk purchase as a group?

Anyone know where to get Bulk LC in the DFW area, preferably the Ft Worth side? Maybe going in on a bulk purchase as a group?
Suggest you search for NAPCO store. The one in Houston (Spring, TX area) sells to the public 3 days a week in 5gal containers. This is the best bulk store I have found.

Reactions: EngineerNerd
Just paid $5.49 gallon for 12.5% in Orange County California, this comes in the 4 gallon pool service type totes which is nice ( deposit required) 31.5% MA is $6.99 gallon

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support