Best NG Heater? My Raypak RP2100 rusted out....Please help!

had the flame caught just what would he have done for the next step?

Blow it out like a candle.

I've found many gas leaks - usually with just my nose, often with soap bubble solution, sometimes with an electronic leak detector (sniffer), and a few times with a flame. It's an old-timer's method - one that is still used often in the field, and in manufacturing QC. Not as scary as you think. Being respectful of gas - If i walked into a building with a high concentration, obviously I wouldn't go lighting matches. Evacuate, shut down the meter, and call the FD if it's bad enough. A little bit of gas carries a LOT of odor.

A very small leak flows gas just like a pilot burner, and will produce a small flame. There is no air in the line for combustion, so the flame won't burn back into the pipe. Obviously you don't let it sit and burn, but it can definitely help you pinpoint and verify the leak.

flame.jpg

Blow it out like a candle.

I've found many gas leaks - usually with just my nose, often with soap bubble solution, sometimes with an electronic leak detector (sniffer), and a few times with a flame. It's an old-timer's method - one that is still used often in the field, and in manufacturing QC. Not as scary as you think. Being respectful of gas - If i walked into a building with a high concentration, obviously I wouldn't go lighting matches. Evacuate, shut down the meter, and call the FD if it's bad enough. A little bit of gas carries a LOT of odor.

Having worked in a natural gas fueled power plant I can agree to this. If the leak is small or in a hard to see place a bubbles don't always work. Sniffers can be confused by windy conditions and lack of gas to set them off. Sniffers in my experience get you close enough to try other methods to find the leak. They also can help rule out if you are just smelling the stuff they put in the gas that makes it smell or the gas itself. If you've exhausted the first line methods of finding the leak and still can't pinpoint a tiny leak using a match or punk stick isn't the craziest thing I've heard.

As always with being a home owner and DIY person work within your own skill set and sphere of knowledge. Let licensed professionals handle everything else.

I'll take your word for it and agree it will not burn back in to the pipe and the natural gas is under very little pressure, just a few PSI - just seems like a good chance for trouble - especially with no shut off close by and with an updated install I'm surprised one wasn't installed.

I also know that they can make repairs and replace applicances even without shutting the gas off if they work quick. Just seems like a better way to try first.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.