Charlottesville, VA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I'm a victim to the CYA disappearance after FC went to zero when the SWG stopped while out of town. Last known CYA was around 40.

Given the warm temperatures and sunny days, I'm limited to SLAMming in the evening/overnight so not to lose FC to sunlight given the high SLAM FC levels. After reading up on this unfortunate situation here on TFP, I have the following questions for any help or comments from the group:

1. How quickly can FC be measured after adding large amounts of liquid chlorine to ensure an accurate reading by mixing with the entire pool? Pump is on high, and adding to the skimmer and in front of my single sidewall return (other returns are on the pool floor). I have been waiting ~1 hour, but that limits the cycles in an evening.
2. Measuring no ammonia and CC down to 0.5-1, I added CYA last night to get to around 20 using the sock method with me periodically massaging it to dissolve it faster. This morning could not see measurable CYA (yet?). Was this too soon to add CYA? SWG is on continuously to keep some FC coming in during the sunny days while trying to complete the SLAM.
3. Worried that the new CYA addition may be subject to the original problem and don't want to add more until I see some FC consumption slow down. So far, a total of 65-70 ppm FC added, but may need to go up to 100 or so given possibly max of 40 CYA before this started based on the 2.5x ballpark from previous threads (thanks chem geek). FC dropped from ~12 to 1.5 in 6 hours last night, CC ~1.

This is turning in to an unfortunate, but interesting, science project. I'm hypothesizing that my lack of ammonia readings indicates that the intermediate forms are consuming the FC, and that I need to just keep pumping in the 10% bleach. I assume there is no need to do this all in one evening, as the FC is being used effectively as it is added, and will eventually be sufficient and result in stable FC at some point, after which I will increase the CYA level.

Thanks for any comments and suggestions!
John

John, I would do the following:
1. No more CYA yet. Increase teh FC with liquid chlorine/bleach to an FC of 10. Pour slowly near the return jet and never into the skimmer. Test again in 10 minutes to ensure if remained between 6-10. If it dropped below 5, increase it right away back to 10 and re-test in 10 minutes. Continue that 10 min cycle until the FC begins to hold.
2. Once you are sure the FC is holding, only then can you add some stabilizer for a goal of 30. If you think there may be some in there, then add about 20 ppm worth, But the sock method once dissolved should fully register in 24 hours.
3. Once you have the stabilizer in the water, increase the FC to 12 and maintain that FC level until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria.

That should help get you going.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.