AH683

Jul 2, 2022
Long Island, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hello all! New to pool ownership and looking for your expert opinions!
I am having a vinyl in ground pool dug in the fall on Long Island, NY. The builder said I can choose any type of Hayward filter. I have always known DE to be the best. He said he would go with a cartridge and has cartridge at his own home. Said the new quad cartridges filter just as well as DE without the backwashing and carcinogen risks. I stopped at my local pool supply to ask their opinion…he said he would use a Hayward DEP 500 series. Said it’s the newest technology and combines the water cleaning of DE with the ease of a cartridge.
Can you guys weigh in and let me know your experience to guide a newbie?! Thanks in Advance!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    495.1 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    499.4 KB · Views: 8
They all have their pros and cons.
Cartridges are great as long as you get the larges filters size possible. The con is if you ever get algae is a pain to clean.
DE filters the most but cloggs up faster and also a pain if you get algae.
Sand filters are the standard but require lots of water to backwash, the easiest to clean if you get algae.

Im bias towards sand, also get the largest sand filter if possible, this minimizes backwashes, i do it twice a year.

Reactions: AH683
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.