Before I buy A Liner, Some Questions

MdMcoupe

Bronze Supporter
Jul 20, 2018
Maryland
I have a Cornelius / Capri pool the specs say 15x31x52, and I need to replace my liner and have some backfilling fixed (see a previous thread where my liner is sinking due to washout from poor backfilling :cry:). I looked at my pool quote (from 2018) and it says "Pacific Diamond 15x30 Unibead 52". Pretty sure it's not Pacific Diamond, its Boulder Swirl. But when the pool contractor came out to look at my pool, they said it was an overlap liner (see photo below of the liner install on my pool). Looks like overlap? I've like our liner (it's just the wife and I), and it's held up good I think.

Is it only Swimline who make these 1695583030547.png Boulder Swirl like we have right now? I would like to get a thicker liner (20, 25mil), but all I can find on the Swimline is 20 gauge, which is less than the 20,25mil. Or will the 20 gauge still be fine? If my current one is 20 gauge it seems to have done fine....?

Can any pool liner be replaced with a Unibead liner? Do I need to make sure my Capri pool can accept a Unibead / beaded liner? I did find this in my pool install manual
1695583353372.png

And photo of current pool liner installed ---- Overlap? --------------- thanks for any help!!!
K9tEheE.jpg

That’s an overlap liner, but you can use a bead liner if you install a bead receiver. It’s basically a track that fits over your wall that the bead slots into.

A unibead liner can be used with any type of pool.

An overlap liner overlaps the top of the wall, and is held in place by a track that clips over it. If you have a pattern around the top (like a fake tile line) they can be fussy to get straight. There are limited overlaps with this sort of pattern just for this reason.

A J-Hook liner has a hook molded into the top edge, that hooks over the wall - it is like an overlap, but since the overlapping hook part is molded, it is easier to get it even all the way around. Then a track clips over it.

A Beaded liner snaps into a bead receiver, the bead receiver is like the track that goes over the overlap, but it has a channel built into it that you snap the bead into. You can add a bead receiver to an overlap pool by putting it on top of the wall. Much like a J-hook, it is self aligning. Some people like beaded liners better because you can replace them without removing the top rails - which can be a big deal if you have a deck built over your pool.

A Unibead is BOTH a J-hook and beaded liner. There is a J-hook and a bead on the liner. If you want to use it as a J-hook, you just use it as it. If you want to use it as a beaded, the J-hook portion is designed to separate just above the bead. You remove the J-hook portion, and presto, you have a beaded liner.

Last edited:
Kelly,

Thanks! Yeah you helped me in my last thread. When I purchase the Unibead liner, do they come with everything I need to install?
Thanks
If you want to use a Unibead as a J-hook, then you need nothing new (provided your liner clips are in good condition)

If you want to use it as a beaded liner, then you will need to buy enough bead receiver rail to convert your pool.

If you want to use a Unibead as a J-hook, then you need nothing new (provided your liner clips are in good condition)

If you want to use it as a beaded liner, then you will need to buy enough bead receiver rail to convert your pool.
Dave,

Thanks so much for the detailed explanation.

I received my quote to repair the pool, and in the "customer responsibilities" I am to provide a 15x30x52 Unibead Liner.
1. How do I know which way they plan to install so I have the right parts? (I can reach out to the installer if the answer isn't obvious)
2. Not sure what condition my current liner clips are in (can you maybe tell from my 1st photo?).
3. Beaded option - i need a bead receiver rail, do I need a Bead Locks too? Or do they come together?

More Customer Responsibilities - wall foam (1 85' roll) & 2 cans spray adhesive, and the pool foam coves. Do you think I need a Gorilla Floor Liner Pad?

Sorry for so many questions, but these are the same people who installed my pool and it was a difficult process. I am trying my hardest to make sure I have everything I need, so I don't get hit with multiple "mobilizations" because I didn't have the right stuff and they had to come back.

Ultimately what I am trying to fix - I posted a thread a little while back.

Dave,

Thanks so much for the detailed explanation.

I received my quote to repair the pool, and in the "customer responsibilities" I am to provide a 15x30x52 Unibead Liner.
1. How do I know which way they plan to install so I have the right parts? (I can reach out to the installer if the answer isn't obvious)
2. Not sure what condition my current liner clips are in (can you maybe tell from my 1st photo?).
3. Beaded option - i need a bead receiver rail, do I need a Bead Locks too? Or do they come together?

More Customer Responsibilities - wall foam (1 85' roll) & 2 cans spray adhesive, and the pool foam coves. Do you think I need a Gorilla Floor Liner Pad?

Sorry for so many questions, but these are the same people who installed my pool and it was a difficult process. I am trying my hardest to make sure I have everything I need, so I don't get hit with multiple "mobilizations" because I didn't have the right stuff and they had to come back.

Ultimately what I am trying to fix - I posted a thread a little while back.

If they specifically state that it must be a Unibead, they likely do so because it can be used as both an overlap or beaded. So that way, when they don't have to concern themselves with trying to explain the difference to a customer, and then the customer buying something that does not work on repair day. I would call them as ask them if there are other types that are OK with them, and that you will have the correct parts.

Your liner clips seem OK from that picture. But in the interest of avoiding a "mobilization fee" they are dirt cheap compared to all the other stuff that goes into your pool - Enough for a 24' round pool is about $25 - Amazon.com

If you go with the beaded option then you do need bead receiver rail. Some people swear that you need bead lock. Other people swear that the only time you need bead lock is if the liner is not installed correctly in the first place, and a well installed liner should stay in groove.

I myself do not see value in wall foam. It is not bad per se, but I have it, and I don't see the value. Many installers also charge extra to install it because it is time consuming and a bit of a PIA. It makes the walls a little (very little) squishy/softer, but I don't crash into my walls when I swim. I doubt there is significant insulation from it either.

Foam Cove is awesome on the other hand.

Last time I changed my liner I did not use a pad. I have a new pool being delivered tomorrow - and I ordered a pad. The divots that peoples heels make in the sand bottom trap fine particles (DE and pollen) and makes vacuuming a pain. Hopefully a pad will help with that.

Reactions: MdMcoupe
I agree 100% about the wall foam, don‘t see the point - after all, I’m not trying to take a nap on the wall. LOL

And I also used foam cove - so easy.

Dave/Kelly

Wow thanks so much for the support. I did get a deal on foam coves, and wall foam ~$100 for the material, and the installer is charging $150 to install all foam. So not a big impact.

BUT -

I just got blind sided by a potential issue. My pool is a 15x31x52. Yeap 31' long. Not the typical 15x30. It's a Cornelius Capri NBS Oval, their website still shows my pool in their catalog - https://corneliuspools.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/DEPL13_CAPRI_June2021.pdf.

According to my Capri install manual, the "True Pool Size" is 15' x 30' 7-1/4". I searched the web for the True Pool Size of a standard 15 x 30 pool, and they are 30'. So my pool is 7.25 inches longer that the standard 15 x 30.

Can I use a 15x30 liner? Can it stretch 3.5 inches on each side? I went to the pool store where I purchased my pool yesterday, and the guy was kind of stumped as to what size liner they provided in 2018. Below is a snapshot of the 2018 invoice for my pool
1695819444784.png

I searched the web for 15x31 liners. Yeah they do make them (seems rare), but wow they are ugly LOL, they are overlap, nothing thicker than 15 mil, and nothing in stock. Is it possible I received a Pacific Diamond 15x30 Swimline, and they stretched it and just did an overlap install?

Is a custom liner in my future?

Again, thanks for any guidance. :)

Dave/Kelly

Wow thanks so much for the support. I did get a deal on foam coves, and wall foam ~$100 for the material, and the installer is charging $150 to install all foam. So not a big impact.

BUT -

I just got blind sided by a potential issue. My pool is a 15x31x52. Yeap 31' long. Not the typical 15x30. It's a Cornelius Capri NBS Oval, their website still shows my pool in their catalog - https://corneliuspools.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/DEPL13_CAPRI_June2021.pdf.

According to my Capri install manual, the "True Pool Size" is 15' x 30' 7-1/4". I searched the web for the True Pool Size of a standard 15 x 30 pool, and they are 30'. So my pool is 7.25 inches longer that the standard 15 x 30.

Can I use a 15x30 liner? Can it stretch 3.5 inches on each side? I went to the pool store where I purchased my pool yesterday, and the guy was kind of stumped as to what size liner they provided in 2018. Below is a snapshot of the 2018 invoice for my pool
View attachment 532814

I searched the web for 15x31 liners. Yeah they do make them (seems rare), but wow they are ugly LOL, they are overlap, nothing thicker than 15 mil, and nothing in stock. Is it possible I received a Pacific Diamond 15x30 Swimline, and they stretched it and just did an overlap install?

Is a custom liner in my future?

Again, thanks for any guidance. :)

There really should be no charge for foam cove. It is actually easier than installing a sand cove - it is saving the installer time. But $150 installation for wall foam a par for the course, so it's all good.

Your pool is 2% larger than a 30 foot liner - a liner can easily stretch that much. But, you will want to make sure it is done on a fairly warm and sunny day (and that the liner is warm) or else a lot of cursing may ensue.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I like wall foam for the protection it adds, like where the wall seam is with bolts/rivets. Also for pets when applicable.

It's single digit R value doesn't equate to any appreciable insulation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.