Bees around our pool.

CampDavid

Jul 25, 2019
Mount Vernon OH
Moved from here.
Hello friends, I’ve recently set up an intex pool with a saltwater filter. My neighbor keeps bees and unfortunately for me, honeybees are attracted to it to make honey (according to google). My four year old son was already stung yesterday (our first time in the pool) and the problem is seemingly getting worse daily. I’ve tried to repel with dryer sheets, soap water, garlic etc. but it isn’t working. Any other ideas? Should i convert to chlorine?
If so, can I use my existing saltwater sand filter on just the filter pump setting only? Do I need to drain the pool in its entirety and refill?

Thank you anyone and everyone for your insight! It would be very much appreciated as I'm feeling like I can't even use what was supposed to be a summer oasis for the fam!

We are having the same trouble. Installed a 16 x 32 Intex pool with a saltwater filter about 3 weeks ago and you have to swat dozes of bees to get in. We never had trouble with bees before. We live in the country and others on our road have ponds and pools and no problems with bees. Tried oils, soap, moth balls . . . no luck. They seem to really like the area near the filter and skimmer basket. Maybe the hum reminds them of home? I won't even get in. I hope someone can help!

Last edited by a moderator:
We’re having issues with white faced (bald) hornets. So far, I’ve hung some traps and gone hunting for the nest, but haven’t found it. I’m also maintaining a clean water source away from the pool. Earlier tonight I found some information that said the females are attracted to raw or unsealed wood because they use it as part of the nest building. My task after a big pool party this weekend will be staining and sealing all our wood decking materials.

Last edited:
Reactions: CampDavid
I’ve had this issue in early spring the last couple years and have successfully gotten rid of them but it takes patience. Get yourself a garden sprayer and mix 4 parts water to 1 part dawn dish soap and get ready for action. The key is to stop them from returning to the hive to bring others with them at least that’s how I handled it as I couldn’t locate the actual nest. It took a couple days each time but it works and I never got stung once. I don’t really like killing bees but they make it impossible to enjoy the pool. Good luck!

Salty

You need a very shallow water dish close to the pool. Bees don't want to land on water that is deep. A shallow dish full of gravel with water in it will attract the bees. Might keep them away from the pool.

It depends what type "bees" they are. You most likely disturbed their nest when you installed the pool. I did the same with yellow jackets. I put a plate of honey out and got around 50 and never saw them again. I suspect I just got lucky.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.