Been lurking here a while

damnthesnowman

Apr 4, 2020
Collingswood, NJ
I was intrigued by TFP at the end of season 2019, but with the season almost over I didn’t do much with the TFP methods. Picked up the TFP test kit in the offseason and was ready for battle. Started 2020 with wonderfully disgusting green pool (using the mesh safety cover from prior owner for now) and got serious about using the TFP approaches. Wife was amazed at how quickly the water cleared up and has remained incredibly clear through the season. We are both believers, so thanks to all the members that I have been pulling advice from within existing threads!

Attachments

• A22042E3-9FE4-44BB-85A5-18476D05C2E8.jpeg
    A22042E3-9FE4-44BB-85A5-18476D05C2E8.jpeg
    720.5 KB · Views: 13
  • AEF9245D-1C0E-461F-86D8-B922461C5150.jpeg
    AEF9245D-1C0E-461F-86D8-B922461C5150.jpeg
    478.4 KB · Views: 13
Seven years ago, it was actually a pool store associate that helped me find TFP. Not on purpose; it was in the middle of my second season with a pool. He told me that my CYA was at 68, and that I should stop using stabilized chlorine trichlor tablets and start using cal-hypo tablets, and keep up the weekly so-called shocks with cal hypo shock. He said that instead of buying the trichlor tablets, I should instead buy a 5 gallon bucket of cal hypo tablets or find someone to share them with. I have an 18' AG pool. Anyway, I decided not to buy that huge bucket of tablets and left. That whole mess intrigued me. I came home and started Google searching this high cyanuric acid thing. I wanted to find out how this happened. How my pool had gotten too high of any level when I had been following their advice to a tee. The google search led me to troublefreepool.com; and I started reading and found out why this had happened and why it doesn't have to happen; how the pool care industry was wrong in many of their techniques and management strategies; and I learned how to care for pools the trouble free way. Back then, I had know idea what I was doing. Would take a sample to the pool store; they'd give me products to put in my pool. I thought that the closer I followed their advice, the better off my pool would be. I'd keep the pucks in there and weekly shock with cal hypo; regularly bring in a sample; they'd explain my report and tell me what to buy and put in my pool. I followed their advice. They never sold me a bunch of unnecessary chemicals; I have to give them that much, except for calcium hardness up for a vinyl pool; and at least they do warn people about high cya; but they don't carry liquid chlorine, and they do not subscribe to the chlorine/cya chart or any sort of ratio of fc to cya. Thank goodness for TFP

Reactions: damnthesnowman