BBQ area Brazilian style

Roddy Scott

Apr 11, 2021
Santa Catarina, Brazil
Before I moved to Brazil I lived in Irish countryside of County Roscommon and had a former riding school stable yard as part of my property. Not a lover of horses I rebuilt the tack room as a Brazilian barbeque area. Moving to Brazil and our current home already had a great barbeque built in, I just added a prep area and a nice wooden bar table to complete it. Brazilian barbeque or churrasco is a lot different as hamburgers don't feature in it. One of the the best cuts of meat is picanha, rump cap, charcoal is the fuel and lends flavour to the meat. Linguisa temperada, Herbed sausage, chicken hearts, chicken wings and other cuts of meat make for a great feast as it is an all day thing if done right.
The pictures are of the Irish one I built, some meat and the Brazilian one that came with the house with the wooden bar for the serious stuff!

Attachments

• Irish BBQ.jpg
    Irish BBQ.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 70
  • Picanha.jpg
    Picanha.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 61
  • Rib steaks.jpg
    Rib steaks.jpg
    343.2 KB · Views: 67
  • 20211019_195014.jpg
    20211019_195014.jpg
    412.8 KB · Views: 72
Very interesting! Is the fire pit in the opening below with the grate/cooking area in the opening above? Post some cooks in the BBQ cooking thread - there’s a great group that shares tips, styles, recipes, etc. I’d love to see some Brazilian BBQ techniques!

My mom is Brazilian and I lived there as a kid. I've always wanted to build one of these churrasco setups!
I have many fond memories of Brazilian style barbecues... instead of a serving of meat on each person's plate, it's usually large cuts getting cooked, then the chef chops them up into small pieces that get passed around and snacked on as we drink cervejas...

Reactions: Roddy Scott
Very interesting! Is the fire pit in the opening below with the grate/cooking area in the opening above? Post some cooks in the BBQ cooking thread - there’s a great group that shares tips, styles, recipes, etc. I’d love to see some Brazilian BBQ techniques!

Brazilian barbequing is very simplistic, meat dipped in rough salt which is brushed off when turned over, seasoned chicken hearts, chicken wings and seasoned pork sausages.
Picanha (rump cap) is never more than 800g to 1 Kg, anything bigger is not picanha! The best is Picanha Argentina Maturada but is not available in my area. There is a place in Palhoca that does excellent high end meat and the rib steaks previously came from there, 1 kilo each!
The meat is grilled in lumps or thick slices which are then cut up and eaten as finger food with beer and cachaça, the Brazilian cane spirit. Limes are an essential for everything as it helps cut the fat down although a lot of it is rendered during grilling. No secret sauces handed down from father to son, just plain old grilling! The trick is to get the meat as succulent as possible and well done is a complete no no!
Whole chickens are cooked either by a rotisserie above the pit or by the beer can method, no matter which way they are done they taste excellent.
Charcoal is cheap here, about $3 for 7 kilos, I buy mine from a local charcoal place and don't go for the prepacked sack stuff which is usually smallish in comparison.
Other good cuts suitable for grilling are - alcatra, contra filet, costela. Brazilian cuts are different from those in the USA as there are much more from a carcase as they are cut from the muscle groups rather than through the bone. More Americanised cuts are appearing in the supermarkets but the taste is for the traditional cuts.

The photos are of our dinner tonight.

Attachments

• 20211020_183240.jpg
    20211020_183240.jpg
    492.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 20211020_183933.jpg
    20211020_183933.jpg
    372.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 20211020_184100.jpg
    20211020_184100.jpg
    375.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 20211020_184320.jpg
    20211020_184320.jpg
    599.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 20211020_185130[1].jpg
    20211020_185130[1].jpg
    546.5 KB · Views: 19
Reactions: jark87
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.