Battling Cloudy Pool.

JBlevz

Apr 26, 2023
San Jose, CA
I have been doing 20% drains and refills to lower my High CYA which started out in the 200s

After not testing for a few days I tested the pool 2 days ago and got:
PH: 7.3
Chlorine: 1
Total Alkalinity: 60
Calcium hardness: 150
CYA: 75

I was a but surprised to see chlorine so low, since I had it up to 15 about a week ago and the CYA was still over 100 at that point.
I added 6 cups baking soda to raise Alkalinity and 1/2 jug liquid 10% chlorine.

Yesterday Morning:
PH: 7.4
Chlorine: 9
Total Alkalinity: 80
Calcium hardness: 140
CYA: 70

Pool was super clear, felt like I was on the right track but the saturation index was a little negative, so I added 6 more cups Baking Soda
When I got home from work yesterday the pool was very cloudy, lots of white flakes suspended in the water and I could see some white flakes on surface.

This morning:

PH: 7.4
Chlorine: 2
Total Alkalinity: 90
Calcium hardness: 180 (measured 3 times in different ways, this seems like the most accurate reading)

I was surprised to see chlorine drop so fast from 9-2 in 24 hours. I added 1/2 jug and retested after an hour and it is at 7 now.

I am wondering if I am doing anything wrong and why did the pool get cloudy? I am guessing calcium precipitating out of the water but not really sure why. Could adding liquid chlorine and baking soda together cause it?

How can I get rid of it?

Thanks.

Overnight chlorine test held perfectly steady at 7ppm.
This morning’s numbers

PH 7.6
Chlorine 7
Total Alkalinity: 95
Ch: 170

I attached some pictures. Lots of white flakes suspended in the pool and on the surface. I put something black in the water about 12 inches deep and you can see 100s of flakes just in that square foot of water.

Attachments

• IMG_7199.jpeg
    IMG_7199.jpeg
    324.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_7191.jpeg
    IMG_7191.jpeg
    457.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_7190.jpeg
    IMG_7190.jpeg
    322.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.