Baquacil Side Discussion

When was the last time the system was calibrated against a known standard? Do you change the cuvettes every season with new ones? Digital testers are fine but TFP has seen problems with them giving all sorts of false readings and it’s usually because they are out of calibration.

Also, some of the biguanide reagents are known to be positively interfered with by algaecides. So if you are regularly using algaecides on top of the baquacil sanitizer, your testing could be showing a false-positive interference (higher reported level than actual). You would need to call up LaMotte and speak to someone in their technical division (ie, not customer support) to know if the reagent they use is susceptible to interference from ADBAC type algaecides (linear quaternary amine algaecides).

Thank you for the information. Good to know. It just sucks to be colorblind and maintaining a pool when most systems rely on color readings. I'm hoping this testing system keeps me closer to real numbers, not relying for someone else to see/guess colors for me. Or the last choice to rely on my supplier to tell me "looks good, don't need to buy anything today".

It is beginning to clear up some, planning to watch it closely, give it another kick today.

Because we always have. Stubborn? Sure, just set in my ways. I know the product is more expensive but may have to switch if this white mold continues. I dont have to purchase any more chemicals this season as I have enough.

Also, I see same issues here from other owners and they use chlorine, they may have a cheaper route but also have issues.

Neither white mold, nor pink slimy algae are issues for owners using chlorine. Most of the issues I've read about here and gave my $0.02 on are the results of complacency and 9 times out of 10, more often than not, the solution is elevating FC levels.

Neither white mold, nor pink slimy algae are issues for owners using chlorine. Most of the issues I've read about here and gave my $0.02 on are the results of complacency and 9 times out of 10, more often than not, the solution is elevating FC levels.
+1

The number 1 reason for algae, mold, slime, what-have-you, is improper sanitizer levels. It just seems that Baqa is more difficult to manage.

I think the drawback to Baqa is having to manage sanitizer and oxidizer separately. Chlorine takes care of both, efficiently and economically.

+1

The number 1 reason for algae, mold, slime, what-have-you, is improper sanitizer levels. It just seems that Baqa is more difficult to manage.

I think the drawback to Baqa is having to manage sanitizer and oxidizer separately. Chlorine takes care of both, efficiently and economically.
It doesn't just seem that way. It is that way.

I couldn't believe it when I converted. Baquacil is pretty good when the water is clear and there are no problems, but it can get ugly in a hurry. You'll spend more time getting the pool clear again, but at least it cost more. :confused:

I was a die hard Baqa user for 10 years but the last 5 years, I was fighting water mold and cloudy water and spending tons of $$ trying to get back to a clear pool. I decided when I closed my pool in 2016 I was converting to chlorine the next spring (2017) when Baqa levels would be at their lowest levels. For me, it was quite a bit of work to convert, but my oh my, it was well worth it. The pool was crystal clear and easy (and cheap) to maintain. I was worried about a chlorine smell and what it would do to swimsuits, and that was never an issue because I followed the TFPC recommended levels.

I opened the pool this year to the same crystal clear water and it has continued to be a joy to no longer have to deal with cloudy water. The maintenance/testing is really simple and more accurate than what I was doing with Baqa. This site has the best people and step by step info on converting, maintenance, and pretty much everything else - and I couldn't have done mine without them.

If you want more time enjoying your pool and spending less money maintaining it, I recommend converting to chlorine when you open the pool next spring.

I have had great support from Lamott this last couple weeks. They sent me a new tester, viles, and a couple reagents. I ran about 4 tests between my tester and the new one. The Biguanide test was really the only one that was 6-15 ppm different. That is plenty to be off on and could be part of my issue.

Thank you all for your great examples and advice. No final decision has been made for our pool but time will tell.

Anthonypool89, how has it been for you this summer?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.