Balancing New SWG

Is it true you have to mix it for 30 seconds twice? the tf-100 instructions say: "Mix, then wait at least 30 seconds. Shake once more."

I do. It's imperative to give the melamine reagent time to react to form the colloidal suspension. The reaction rate can vary with temperature so it's equally important to let your water sample get up to room temperature (~70F). The final shake gives you a good distribution of the particulates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wanted to update on progress of raising the CYA levels. At this point I have CYA level at 30. I know it's still on the low end so my plan is to continue working on getting it higher. I'm shooting for 70 per the FC/CYA chart. Yesterday, my FC reading was at 0 so I was concerned that I had a possible algae problem so about 2 hours before the sun went down I added bleach to raise FC to 2 and then waited for the sun to set. Tested and FC was sitting at 2. I turned off all equipment and tested again this first thing this morning. The FC level was still at 2 so I feel confident I don't have algae. Now just wondering why I can't maintain FC levels throughout the day.

I have a SWG and it's set at 50%. My thought is that I should continue to raise CYA to protect FC throughout the day while tweaking my cell output % up. Close the gap until I have maintained reading of FC.

My questions are 1) is my thought process correct and 2) as I make my adjustments to the cell % how long before I should wait before I make another adjustment?

Wanted to update on progress of raising the CYA levels. At this point I have CYA level at 30. I know it's still on the low end so my plan is to continue working on getting it higher. I'm shooting for 70 per the FC/CYA chart. Yesterday, my FC reading was at 0 so I was concerned that I had a possible algae problem so about 2 hours before the sun went down I added bleach to raise FC to 2 and then waited for the sun to set. Tested and FC was sitting at 2. I turned off all equipment and tested again this first thing this morning. The FC level was still at 2 so I feel confident I don't have algae. Now just wondering why I can't maintain FC levels throughout the day.

I have a SWG and it's set at 50%. My thought is that I should continue to raise CYA to protect FC throughout the day while tweaking my cell output % up. Close the gap until I have maintained reading of FC.

My questions are 1) is my thought process correct and 2) as I make my adjustments to the cell % how long before I should wait before I make another adjustment?

If FC is holding overnight when the equipment is off, but not during the day with equipment on, there's a couple possibilities. It could simply be the sun eating up FC, or it could be something in your filter eating up FC. You could verify which it is by performing the OCLT with the pump /filter running overnight (SWCG OFF). If there's still no overnight FC loss, then it's just the sun. If there is an overnight loss, then likely something in the filter is eating FC.

I'm running my equipment from 8 am until 8 pm. I checked it when I got home from work and FC had dropped by 1 ppm. I think it's my level of CYA that's allowing the FC loss during the day. Never thought about running the filter at night without the cell in...good idea.

Thanks for all of the replies and help. For a new pool owner...I seriously love this site!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.