Las Vegas, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60
We had our pool replastered about 45 days ago and we’re getting ready to install our new SWG this weekend. I’ve been keeping a close eye on my chemicals. Been keepigg bc my pH around 7.6 and chlorine at about 3ppm. Here’s the caveat, bc it’s relatively new water, my CYA is only 30. Did I read correctly that I need to get it up to 70 before adding the salt? Pool calculator said that means adding 3 gallons of liquid stabilizer (don’t particularly want to deal with the powder). Question is, can I add that all at once and then run the pump for 24 hours or do I need it add it in stages? Also, doesn’t it take a while for the CYA to register on my test? Does that mean I can’t add the salt until I get a reading of 70? I’m guessing that could take a week or so.

Arethere any other chemicals I need to focus on prior to adding the salt?

Thanks!

I'm still new to all of this pool stuff but I don't see any reason you need to get the CYA up before adding the salt. You will definitely want to get the CYA up when you start using the SWG.

I have not used liquid stabilizer so I'm not help there. If you go the powder route I find panty hose is the best bet.

Try the SWG manual. Mine says CYA must be at least 50. Pool School here recommends 60+ with 70 ideal.

Once you get to the right level, a trick when it gets a bit low (due to dilution, etc.) is to turn the SWG down and use trichlor pucks in a floater for a while. This seems to me less trouble than CYA in socks :cool:. I've read the reason for the big CYA number with SWGs is that it makes life easier for the device, so it lasts longer. Even though the FC level must be higher, the SWG works less. Why? We need a chemist for that.

For your area I would recommend CYA at 70 to 80 and FC at 6 to 7..

I always recommend a higher FC level than recommended levels cause I do not like messing with the lower numbers of 3 to 4 FC as one small thing happening in the pool and bam your below the level and have to SLAM.. SLAMing at CYA of 80 sucks when you have to raise FC to 31 :)

You can easily use liquid CYA it is just more expensive.. You can pour it in all at once.. I would start at CYA 70 and see if that works for you and if not go to 80... If your pool is in sun from dawn to dusk 80 may work better...

You can add salt and CYA one after the other with no issue.. Get the Lowes softener salt or stuff that has no added anything.. > https://www.lowes.com/pd/Diamond-Crystal-40-lb-Salt-Solar-Crystals/50107190

Reactions: setsailsoon
We had our pool replastered about 45 days ago and we’re getting ready to install our new SWG this weekend. I’ve been keeping a close eye on my chemicals. Been keepigg bc my pH around 7.6 and chlorine at about 3ppm. Here’s the caveat, bc it’s relatively new water, my CYA is only 30. Did I read correctly that I need to get it up to 70 before adding the salt? Pool calculator said that means adding 3 gallons of liquid stabilizer (don’t particularly want to deal with the powder). Question is, can I add that all at once and then run the pump for 24 hours or do I need it add it in stages? Also, doesn’t it take a while for the CYA to register on my test? Does that mean I can’t add the salt until I get a reading of 70? I’m guessing that could take a week or so.

Arethere any other chemicals I need to focus on prior to adding the salt?

Thanks!
I would add chlorine to at least 5 ppm first. No need to wait on adding cya to add your salt either. I would add the stabilizer in smaller amounts like half needed. Then wait an hour and retest and add more just to be sure you don't overshoot on CYA. Liquid CYA disperses and dissolves very quickly which is nice but it costs a lot more. Solid CYA takes days.

Use Pool Math to estimate your swg settings. I found it to be very accurate for my pool. I would start out with initial settings that generate sufficient FC to stay at the top of target range for your cya level. One of our experts @Jimrahbe taught me the key to easy swg operation "don't try to micro-manage the swg settings; it'll drive you nuts." Your FC level fluctuates a lot just from sun, pool use, and other variables. So let it float around the top of target. Check FC frequently during first few days to see how it's cycling and only adjust the swg settings if you trend to the low end of target or more than a few ppm above max target. Never let FC get close to min. If this happens add a little liquid and adjust run time upward then continue dialing in your swg. I got mine all set in just a few days and only had to adjust run time a couple times per year.

I found that getting % power set such that you can fine tune run-time up and down within your normal pump run times made swg operation easiest. Once you dial in % power you rarely need to change. Mine stayed at 40% for 3 years before we sold the house.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Last edited:
I forgot this part.. Alway raise FC using liquid.. SWG are great at keeping FC at a level and they suck at raising FC levels as it takes longer run times...

Reactions: setsailsoon
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.