Balance pool chemicals

I just started my FIRST AA treatment. Chlorine 1, PH 7.2, TA 70 or 80 CH 350, Temp 75. I added the polyquat 60 right after adding Stain Free (the ascorbic acid) I reread and should have added it first. It has been about 2hrs and Stains have lifted so going to add the Jacks Purple Stuff as the sequestering agent. Hope I am doing this right. pooldv, I did get the polyfil just in case but so far the water is clear so have not used it. One thing I read on the Stain Free was ( you must use a pulp based filter aide, I DID NOT DO THIS) I only followed the TFP directions. Will my filters be ok??? I forgot to ask DO I BRUSH THE POOL NOW WHILE DOING THIS AA TREATMENT??
I HAVE A SS BRUSH OK TO USE NOW????

Good news! A lap around the pool with the brush is always good for it. I wouldn't worry about the filter aid, I've never seen it mentioned here during AA treatments. Your filters will definitely be OK.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Have you started bringing up PH and chlorine? I would leave the filter running a couple more days. On a fairly low RPM. What RPM do you normally run for filtering and skimming? I run at 1100 rpm. Something under 2000 rpm so you don't use all the electricity in OR. :)

since it was 24 hrs at about 3pm I was going to start bringing things up tomorrow. I do not know the rpm but I know it is on a low setting, so safe to say there will be electricity left over LOL. I checked the ph 2 times today and it is still 7.2. I will turn the pump back on and tomorrow start the slow process of bringing things back to normal. Thank You AGAIN

Hi pooldv, sure glad you are still with me. AA treatment still looking good. bringing chlorine up slowly, now at 1, hope not too slowly. Wanted to check and see if it is ok to add muratic acid now as ph looks like 7.3, don't want to get above 7.2. TA 60
Started treatment on 5-11-16

Sure, it is fine to lower it back to 7.2. Just keep it above 7.0 for sure. TA 60 is good, low TA will slow PH rise. 1 is a little too slow. :) What is your CYA? You need to get FC up to min for your CYA, Chlorine CYA Chart. Raise your FC 1 ppm every hour or so and watch for stains. If stains start then add some more sequestering agent. Also, test FC 2 or 3 times per day and keep it at minimum because the AA will use up your chlorine.

Just tested FC is now 3, will try to hold on to that, also added a maintenance dose of polyquat 60 this morning. Ph seems to be going to 7.3, adding MA to try and hold at 7.2, also brushed this afternoon. This is stressful, I keep staring hoping not to see any staining come back, so far so good. I keep wondering if I should still leave the pool on 24 hrs ,??????????? started AA on 5-11-16 Looks SOOOOO good right now. Could not have done it with out YOU

Good news that the pool looks good! Nice work! I am on the fence about leaving the pump running. Since it is a VS pump on low speed it is cheap to run so I say run it for a while longer. Adding that acid should also lower your TA a bit more which should help slow PH rise a bit. I think tomorrow it will be time to raise FC to 5 ppm to get to target level for your CYA. Maybe 1 ppm at a time again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.