Bad Timing or Great?

frankan9

Bronze Supporter
Aug 27, 2012
Aberdeen, New Jersey
Hi All,
I've learned almost everything I know about pools from TFP. Today I have to ask about water loss.
Short story is that my vinyl liner is 20 years old and developed a tear in a corner above the water line(My fault)which I patched.I scheduled a new liner to be installed on 8/16 and now have lost about a foot of water in the last 4-5 days.I can't find any additional holes. the water is now below the skimmers but above the returns.I tried the dye test at the returns and the main drain, and had no luck. Could this amount of water be lost from tiny unseen pinholes or is it likely to be the plumbing?
Should I keep filling or let it go for the next 10 days?

Frank

See how far the water goes down and then stops. Once it stops leaking, the culprit will be at, or just above the standing water line.

Do you loose water faster with the pump running? Or it doesn’t matter?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It could be a concern if there is ground water present or heavy rain expected. I would try plugging the main drain and if that doesn't solve the problem then frankan9 should refill and top off until the liner is replaced, if either condition is expected.

Does it really matter with a new liner coming in a week? ;)

It only matters if it's a plumbing issue,because the cost will go up significantly. If its the liner I'll count myself lucky that the liner was scheduled to be changed before the leak was evident

- - - Updated - - -

It could be a concern if there is ground water present or heavy rain expected. I would try plugging the main drain and if that doesn't solve the problem then frankan9 should refill and top off until the liner is replaced, if either condition is expected.

I'll try to plug the main drain.If I'm unable to do that then I'll start refilling until the pool company can pressure test the lines. I've already requested the lines be tested.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.