Backyard flooded sending some dirt into pool

Feb 13, 2014
Central California
Had a huge thunderstorm dump a huge amount of rain that flooded the backyard a bit causing dirt to get washed into the pool. I'll have to get a better look tomorrow but it was enough that the entire pool water is brownish and cannot see through at all. I have a Hayward cartridge filter system. Not sure if I should try filtering this out or drain/refill. Had been considering a refill for the upcoming pool season but not quite this early. Wondering if anyone has some advice for which way to go with this. Thanks!

Had a huge thunderstorm dump a huge amount of rain that flooded the backyard a bit causing dirt to get washed into the pool. I'll have to get a better look tomorrow but it was enough that the entire pool water is brownish and cannot see through at all. I have a Hayward cartridge filter system. Not sure if I should try filtering this out or drain/refill. Had been considering a refill for the upcoming pool season but not quite this early. Wondering if anyone has some advice for which way to go with this. Thanks!

If you need to drain and refill because you are due for one, then by all means, have it done before the swimming season. I do not know what your experience level is with this, though, and hope that you do not plan on draining immediately after a flood :lol:

I second what bobodaclown said. Draining your pool to vacuum it out with a shop vacuum is a number of things including risky and dangerous. Your post mentions that the particles are still suspended; that gives me a few ideas, but it also does complicate things.

Here are my top four suggestions in this case:
1) Use a high-quality clarifier, run 24/7, clean the filter when the pressure spikes by 5-10 PSI above starting pressure. (faster)
2) Use a flocculant, follow the directions... DO NOT vacuum this through your filters though. (faster)
3) Run your system 24/7 being sure to clean when the pressure spikes by 5-10 PSI above starting pressure. Vacuum once you can see the bottom clearly. (moderate)
4) Run your system normal hours, watch the pressure as previously stated, and vacuum once you can see the bottom clearly. (slowest)

Clarifier and flocculant are about the same amount of work, and would likely take a similar amount of time from my experience. Flocculant usually takes a couple of days to work, with your system being off, and then you vacuum it out. All of it out. If you expect to have piles of dirt because there is THAT much dirt, then this will be your best bet. You will need to vacuum to waste several times before everything is completely out. The only issue with flocculant is if you do not have a cleaner of some sort. It will continue to drop things for a few weeks, and if you don't have a cleaner, you will get very frustrated. If you use a high-quality clarifier, this will cut your time down by quite a bit, BUT this option as well as all below it will require several filter cleans (if you have as much dirt as you think you do). All other options would require more time and more work to get the same result.

TLDR: Flocculant is my personal choice for thick water and covered floors. Be sure to read the directions COMPLETELY and THOROUGHLY though. I think I am allowed to say this since it is intended to help you... if you need brand recommendations for this, inbox me or ask on here (I'll subscribe to the thread). I have experience with a few, but I have a preference for one that should be available online.

EDIT: As another user said, using a flocculant incorrectly can result in more work. This is if they are not used properly/carefully, so if you do decide to use this, be sure, again, to read the instructions thoroughly.

-Eric

TFP does not suggest the use of flocculants or clarifiers to clean a pool. The possible side effects or sometimes ineffectiveness of these products are documented well enough on this forum that we do not recommend their use.

An exception might be if you have exhausted all other possible methods but, most of the time, adequate vacuuming, filtering and chlorination is a better way.

I think you have to balance the effort of cleaning the water with the cost of refilling. Is your area in California still under drought restrictions? CA just had one of the wettest winters on record, reservoir water is being purged/dumped into the Sacramento Delta and the Sierra snowpack is something like 190% above historical averages, so I would hope that the water resources boards in Cali would let up on the restrictions....but I doubt it....

If water is cheap AND there is NO GROUNDWATER near the pool (you have to know where your water table is so you don't float the pool shell out of the ground), then it may just be easier and faster to pump all of the dirty water out using a high-speed submersible pump (or two) to drain the pool quickly. Then you can refill it and simply clean up the water that may have been left behind in the plumbing. Just drain the pool on a cool & dry day and use your garden hose to keep the plaster wet. Then refill right away; you do not want to leave the pool plaster exposed.

If the ground is saturated with water and/or the water table is too high, then it may be easier to clean the water you have. Clarifiers and flocs are one way to do it but we don't usually recommend that approach because most people never get it done right and wind up creating a bigger mess. Flocs can ONLY be used if you have a multiport valve on your filter that allows you to vacuum to waste. Clarifiers are best used with sand filters; I would not want to use a clarifier with a DE or cartridge filter because it is just going to plug up the filter instantly. You need to get the bulk of the solid debris out of the water by just using the filter (no chemicals) and cleaning it as it loads up (could be hourly at first). Then, once the water gets to a hazy/translucent clarity where you can kind-of/sort-of make out the main drain, then I would try a clarifier. But you need to do the hard work of cleaning out the larger solids first.

While all this is going on, you need to keep your FC at higher levels. Sand/silt/dirt is full of organic compounds, bacteria and fungal/algae spores and will eventually lead to a bloom. Chlorine is going to keep that at bay while you're attempting to clean up the water.

Post some pictures so we can see what you're dealing with.

snipped...
I think you have to balance the effort of cleaning the water with the cost of refilling. Is your area in California still under drought restrictions? CA just had one of the wettest winters on record, reservoir water is being purged/dumped into the Sacramento Delta and the Sierra snowpack is something like 190% above historical averages, so I would hope that the water resources boards in Cali would let up on the restrictions....but I doubt it....

I can't speak for the entirety of the state but with the exception of the Santa Barbara region I think state officials have called an end to drought status. Most of the water districts in NORCAL have ended there drought restrictions, in particular penalties for over usage. A few are still going to ask for voluntary reductions now that customer use habits are in place. The storm door is open with a couple of months of our rainy season to come. In fact another wave of storms is lined up for the coming week. Not like we've had but we're running out of places to put it. :)

That said I'm looking forward to being able to reduce my Ch with a partial drain and fill of my own. With small drains in anticipation of storms we have had I've been able to collect 10" of the 36" I'm gonna need.

As for the OP: I'm hoping you can get it under control with filtering, brushing and vacuuming. Good luck.

That said I'm looking forward to being able to reduce my Ch with a partial drain and fill of my own. With small drains in anticipation of storms we have had I've been able to collect 10" of the 36" I'm gonna need.

Nice work on rain water collection :thumleft:

My wife grew up in Contra Costa County (Lafayette). I have some found memories of driving around Lafayette/Walnut Creek area and visiting all the places she grew up in. The East Bay (maybe with exception of UC Berkeley :laughblue: although I did love hanging out in Jack London Square!) is a beautiful area...

Update:

So I spent the day running the pump and cleaning the filters multiple times. Cleaned the filters 3 times. First few there was a lot of dirt that washed out of the filters and it only took 90 minute for the pressure to go up 10 psi. The water at this point is better but pretty cloudy looking. Can see the bottom of the deep end. After the last filter clean, the pressure only went up about 4-5 psi after about another 4 hours of running. Did add some liquid chlorine but I'm going to check levels tomorrow morning and see where things are at. I don't have a vacuum to waste port. My plan will be to clean the filters and continue running the pump tomorrow and see how things go. Thanks for the advice. Hopefully the water will continue getting better.

It will. You may slam the pool and vac. Does your cartridge filter have a 1.5 inch drain plug?
If you look at my old post, I show how to add a drain to waste to a cartridge filter. Works well when I need to drain down or vac to waste.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.