Backwashing - dumps lots of sand is this normal?

MJCP

Sep 14, 2007
Michigan
Our waste line is a flex hose leading down and away from the filter (towards the plant beds)
Each time I backwash I notice a lot of sand is also coming out, so much so that there is now
an obvious, sand path running away from the hose. for like 15 - 20 feet, I know that some sand would be normal, but is this "too much" and is it a sign of a problem I am missing.

waste

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 29, 2007
Coastalish 'down easter'
Did they add the recommended amount of sand? There should be a good bit of 'freeboard' between the top of the sand and the top of the filter - if that is too small (ie, they added sand to the top of the standpipe) then the extra sand is going to vacate while backwashing.

MJCP

Sep 14, 2007
Michigan
Sorry for the delay (without power for 3 days and a flooded basement - Pools is still clear though :-D "

The filter has done this since we bought the house,1 1/2 seasons I finally added some sand (pool sand from the pool store)
last month to replace at least as much as I know I lost. Can't tell how high the level is inside right now but I'm guessing it is just over the half way full point.

launboy

Jun 15, 2008
S.E. Wisconsin
I've always had a small amount of sand leave my backwash hose when I backwash. When I first turn on the pump sand comes out then after that initial dump, there is very little sand. It's always done that so I'm not concerned about it. I know the amount of sand is correct because we store the pump and filter in the garage so the sand gets dumped every year and replaced.

HTH,
Adam