Backwash Question

mbrown2020

Jun 10, 2020
Maryland
Hello everyone. My brother has a pool and we attempted to set up a drain line made from PVC for his back wash. All of the pool lines are 1.5".

The PVC I got was 1.25" but did not realize the pool lines by the pump were 1.5".

We installed the PVC and connected a backwash hose from the output from the pump to the intake on the new PVC. The issue was the following:

* There were two 45 degree angles on the pvc where the hose connected to
* 12-15 PSI was generated when we attempted to backwash

We removed the two 45 degree elbows but that also did not work.

I was hoping I could get some suggestions.

Again the PVC around the pump is 1.5" and the back wash hose is 2.0" I believe.

We are attempting to do this because how his property is set up it is causing a portion of the yard to flood killing the grass and making a huge pit.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thank you

I'm not following.
"connected a backwash hose from the output from the pump to the intake on the new PVC. " :scratch:

The output on the pump should go to a valve and then to the filter. There should be a waste port for the backwash. That's where the backwash hose or pipes connect.

If the output is restricted, you'll see pressure, probably even slightly higher than normal filtration. The question is, was filthy water coming out?

I understood what you described ;)
We installed the PVC and connected a backwash hose from the output from the pump to the intake on the new PVC. The issue was the following:

* There were two 45 degree angles on the pvc where the hose connected to
* 12-15 PSI was generated when we attempted to backwash

We removed the two 45 degree elbows but that also did not work.
Is the pressure a concern? Or causing issues?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.