Backwash pipe blew off when backwashing

Jul 6, 2016
Memphis, TN
Not sure if it was all the crazy cold weather we had and I had even backwashed one other time since the winter storms, but one morning when backwashing, this happened. Not the greatest pic, but the other side of the pipe that comes out of the filter has a triangle chunk broken out of it and is cracked. My question is do I try to repair this one piece or do I need get replace the whole 216050 value kit assembly? Also, would there be a short term option to just cap off the bottom hole coming out of the filter just knowing I couldn't backwash until I repaired this?

Attachments

• backwash.jpg
    backwash.jpg
    359.5 KB · Views: 31
Part of the pipe that came off and it looks dang near impossible to remove so you may have just answered my question. Would it be ok if I could find a cap that size to just cap it off and run the filter in normal flow position until I could get this repaired?

Why do you want to cap the line if no water comes out during normal operation?

You can maybe try using a pipe extender, which will glue into the existing pipe.

Can you show a picture of inside the hole?

Some water does come out during normal operation and the filter doesn't seem to build pressure so I thought it needed to be sealed for it to operate normally.

The part number on the assembly is P/n 216050.

Here is a look at the hole for the filter.

Why do you want to cap the line if no water comes out during normal operation?

You can maybe try using a pipe extender, which will glue into the existing pipe.

Can you show a picture of inside the hole?

Attachments

• unnamed2.jpg
    unnamed2.jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 8
The top hole is where the water goes into the filter and the bottom hole is where the water comes out of the filter.

You can't operate with the bottom hole plugged.

You can try a pipe extender or go with a new valve.

I recommend the valve that I linked to earlier.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.