Backfill Around Above Ground Pool

Dvost11

May 27, 2020
NE Ohio
Hey guys, im going to be installing my above ground pool in the next few months. I live in NE Ohio so climate changes a lot. i suspect one side will be about 18" underground. i thought i would back fill maybe 6 inchs to keep water from going under the pool(happend at my old house and washed the sand out) and then back fill with gravel so the water can flow down and into a drain pipe i will lay around. Does there seem to be an issue with a little dirt to prevent water from going under the pool? should i coat with tar the bottom half? i would love for the pool to last 10-15 years....

I'm in the same situation same depth. I've been wondering if this is a good optiong or just installing a drain around upper side of pool to carry water away. I just joined this forum. Let me know what you find out or decide.

Hey guys, im going to be installing my above ground pool in the next few months. I live in NE Ohio so climate changes a lot. i suspect one side will be about 18" underground. i thought i would back fill maybe 6 inchs to keep water from going under the pool(happend at my old house and washed the sand out) and then back fill with gravel so the water can flow down and into a drain pipe i will lay around. Does there seem to be an issue with a little dirt to prevent water from going under the pool? should i coat with tar the bottom half? i would love for the pool to last 10-15 years....

I am in NE Ohio also. I had a pool cove installed like @unkyjoe stated. I then used the grass dug up (aka sod) by the pool installers to lay about 4" of dirt/sod around the outside of the pool. Been going strong for 18 years with no washout. (Now if I can figure out my dang filter issue, I will be golden).

Reactions: Dvost11
Get a pre-formed pool cove to help deal with washout, my pool is in a low area where water travels when it rains, my previous abg pool washed out and the liner burst years ago, this install they recommended the pool cove to prevent this from happening should we have a wash out. Like this https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Wave-Stick-Above-Ground/dp/B004VQE1J0
How would that keep the water from running under the pool though? im thinking a few inches of clean dirt around the outside would be best. then backfill the rest of the way with wash gravel.

water is going to go where it wants to, the cove will is to replace the "sand" cove they build up on the inside of the wall when they install it, the cove is permanent and will not wash out like the sand, you need to have your yard graded properly to route the water around the pool instead of under it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.