Atlanta, GA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I left our new (to us, 2 year old total) pool alone for the last week and got back to the following results:

FC: 8.5
CC: 3.0
CYA: 75
PH: 8.2
Alkalinity: 100

The CYA and FC are right where I want 'em, and I was able to get the Alkalinity & PH on track with a little MA. What in the world is going on with my CCs though? I'm wondering if I'm testing wrong (using 10 ml sample w/the TF-Pro kit. 6 drops / 0.5 = 3.0). Am I messing up the test, or is it time to SLAM?

If you're pretty familiar with your TF-Pro then your probably did it right. Have you done an OCLT to see if you're losing > 1ppm overnight? If you haven't I'd do that tonight for sure. Can you adda signature so that myself and the true pros on this site can help you better? See the following link: Create Your Signature - Further Reading

Also, your CYA cannot be 75. It's based on a logarithmic scale so round up to 80. If you don't think that's right then double check it. How are you chlorinating? Liquid chloring (LC) or a SWG? Is your pool plaster, vinyl, or fiberglass? Make sure all of that is in your signature as well as what kit you're using to test your water.

Reactions: Newdude
Hey CLJ and Welcome !!!!

Was the pool covered ?
This. I haven’t seen CC that high in my green pool prior to SLAMing. Throw a cover on there and I get 0.5 CC overnight.

Water looks good? I’m assuming your SWG with that long away and 8.5 FC so it was probably well above minimum.

Or did everyone get back from the trip and use it as a public urinal? 😆

I left our new (to us, 2 year old total) pool alone for the last week and got back to the following results:

FC: 8.5
CC: 3.0
CYA: 75
PH: 8.2
Alkalinity: 100

The CYA and FC are right where I want 'em, and I was able to get the Alkalinity & PH on track with a little MA. What in the world is going on with my CCs though? I'm wondering if I'm testing wrong (using 10 ml sample w/the TF-Pro kit. 6 drops / 0.5 = 3.0). Am I messing up the test, or is it time to SLAM?
You didn’t add any non-chlorine shock before you left by any chance? That’ll mess up the CC test.

If you're pretty familiar with your TF-Pro then your probably did it right. Have you done an OCLT to see if you're losing > 1ppm overnight? If you haven't I'd do that tonight for sure. Can you adda signature so that myself and the true pros on this site can help you better? See the following link: Create Your Signature - Further Reading

Also, your CYA cannot be 75. It's based on a logarithmic scale so round up to 80. If you don't think that's right then double check it. How are you chlorinating? Liquid chloring (LC) or a SWG? Is your pool plaster, vinyl, or fiberglass? Make sure all of that is in your signature as well as what kit you're using to test your water.
Thanks for the response and coaching! A few answers:
  • I was guessing between the CYA 70 and 80 lines. That's the most difficult test!
  • Signature updated. Importantly for this discussion: Plaster, TF Pro & SWG.
  • NOT covered
Now, an update:
  • When I tested this morning, the TA & PH were back to 80 and 7.6 (y)
  • FC increased to 13 :oops:
  • but CC was back to negligible (barely 1 drop to clear test)
My assumptions, based on what I've read thus far: Perhaps sampling the water yesterday before vacuuming, cleaning the skimmers and scrubbing might have thrown off the CC? It's also possible I used the wrong reagent...but I don't think that's the case. Could my high TA/PH contributed as well before I added MA?

Another datapoint: I dialed up the SWG while I was gone but turned it off today since the FC was so high this morning. I'll perform an overnight chlorine loss tonight and in the AM and will report back tomorrow.

Final question for @Bperry : can you point me in the direction of a link or forum on this? I'll be sure to shock before the next extended absence!

Reactions: cdadams1223
FC increased to 13 :oops:
Wrong emojii. You need this guy. :party:

The daily mission is to have 'enough chlorine' to make it until tomorrow. You passed your mission with flying colors. You also passed tomorrow's mission, and maybe even Saturdays too. Bravo in advance of those. 😁

When you're going to goof, goof on the harmless side that won't gift you a swamp. Step in and dial it down a little if need be, and chuckle at the whoopsie.
Could my high TA/PH contributed as well before I added MA?
Never to CCs.

But here's a thought. Did you move from the FC to the CC test quickly ? If you let the sample sit a bit it goes pink again. That color change doesn't count. I have my bottles ready, in order, uncapped. Then I can move through each step without pausing. I recap/ tidy up after.

Final question for @Bperry : can you point me in the direction of a link or forum on this? I'll be sure to shock before the next extended absence!
Don’t do that! My question was aimed at non-chlorine shock (MPS) being something people use that will cause false high CC readings. Don’t use it!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.