Southern California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I am about to kick off a new pool build and I'm wondering if I need the auxiliary pump. It's only about $2,000 but the builder tells me there's already going to be 6 jets in the spa using just the main VSP - and I don't need my spa bubbling like a cauldron. 12 jets seems like overkill.

Any thoughts or opinions? Anybody NOT get the auxiliary pump and then regret it?

I have no complaints from my 6 jets running off of the main VS pump. In fact, I rarely turn on the blower because it churns up the water so much.

Reactions: HermanTX
Single VS pump here with 6 jets in the spa. I need to run at higher RPMs to generate a good amount of bubbles. I'm not sure how a single VS would perform with 12 jets of the same size in my spa. It's a subjective opinion, but 6 jets is plenty for me.
With one pump, you will lose skimming/circulation in the pool while in spa mode. If money is not a factor, stick with two pumps. You might talk to your about using a spa blower instead of a second pump, or reduce the number of jets.

Single VS pump here with 6 jets in the spa. I need to run at higher RPMs to generate a good amount of bubbles. I'm not sure how a single VS would perform with 12 jets of the same size in my spa. It's a subjective opinion, but 6 jets is plenty for me.
With one pump, you will lose skimming/circulation in the pool while in spa mode. If money is not a factor, stick with two pumps. You might talk to your about using a spa blower instead of a second pump, or reduce the number of jets.
Thanks. I was wondering about that - if I lose circulation in the pool when all the pressure is diverted to the spa. Does the control of the spa change at all? Since it will all be automated, it's just a matter of selecting spa mode, correct? The valves will close themselves, no need for manually opening and closing valves?

Yes in Spa mode, the valves should turn automatically (assuming you have controllers on both the return and suction pipes hooked to an automation panel). Therefore circulation path is suction from spa, through pump, then to filter then to heater and back to spa jets. I have 6 jets and only 1 pump as well and happy with the set up. However, I know friends and have read on the forum if you go with more jets (not sure what the change over point is, but it lets say it is more than 8, then they have used a dedicated spa pump to create the jetting action needed. And this still may require your existing pool pump to be in spa mode. This is especially true if you have special spa jets.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.