automating a Polaris and Apure Salt Cell

Salt_Water_Sam

Bronze Supporter
Oct 1, 2018
Birmingham/Alabama
Hey everyone, I currently have a polaris 380 that is hooked up to a intermatic timer with trippers. I also have an aquapure salt cell that is hooked up to a separate intermatic timer (currently with no trippers). I have a new 1.65hp variable speed Jandy Pump that I control with a iQPUMP01 controller via the AquaLink app. I don't get many leaves in my pool so I am hoping to find a way to provide further automation to my polaris cleaner so that I can have it run every two or three days versus every day. What would I need in order to automate the polaris this way? One reason I am looking into this is that I have to bump my RPM up above 3000 while my polaris runs so if I could somehow make the polaris only run every other day or over few days I could save some electricity costs of not having to run my pump so hard for a few hours on the non-cleaning days. Is the only option buying a separate RS powerlink board just for connecting my polaris to? It seems like overkill. I guess I could also connect my salt cell then but seems like a lot. Plus, I think I would need a separate wireless controller for this RS unit? Thanks!

What is hooked up to the timer? Do you mean a booster pump that feeds the 380? Is your pressure side valve for the 380 controlled by an automated valve through aqualink? Pics of the setup would help!

Sorry, yes the booster pump that feeds the 380 is hooked up to the timer. I'll have to snap some pics tonight but I know I don't have any automated valves at all. I think water just always flows through the pipe to the pressure side cleaner but only when the booster pump kicks on does it move the polaris. Through aqualink, I have my VS pump setup to bump to 3000 rpm about 30 minutes before the intermatic timer trippers start up the booster pump for the polaris. If that makes sense. My other intermatic timer is connected to the apure salt cell only and I have my VS pump just setup to receive constant power and I would control it solely from the aqualink app. So technically I could also control the salt cell with trippers as well but would require a lot of manual adjustments depending on when I turn on/off the pump within aqualink. For right now I just leave the cell on all the time at a low setting and have my pump run 24 hrs as well but at fairly low rpms most of the time.

Do you actually have the full aqualink interface or are you referring to the version that is embedded on the IQ pump?

Without the full Aqualink, the only way to start/stop your booster pump is with a timer. If you want the timer programmable you can get programmable timers. The one you have sounds like just a basic mechanical timer.

Reactions: Salt_Water_Sam
Thanks PG, any recommendations on these type of programmable timers? You are correct, my current timer is a basic mechanical one. Never even thought that I could retrofit it with something more complex. I guess a digital programmable timer would possibly work? I didn't know if there was something in particular most people used to upgrade their mechanical ones. Thank you again for all your help!

Reactions: Salt_Water_Sam

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.