Automatic Pool Filler: Is it supposed to shut off?

Red

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 11, 2010
Orange County, CA
I had the pool re-plumbed and re-plastered in 2009. At that time they put in an automatic filler (mechanical float type).

I'm not certain that the thing ever completely shuts off. I'd hear a little high-pitched whine sometimes when it was near shutting off. It just seems there might be a little trickle into my large body of water.

My problem is that the water department determines you have a leak if they see the little dial spinning on your water meter when they come by to look at it. I've told them in the past that I have a pool auto filler and that water may be flowing because of it. If I turn off the pool auto fill, the little dial stops spinning (and it's spinning very slowly).

In the past, the water department has been okay with my explanation. Now, however, their conclusion is that if the auto fill doesn't shut off that I have a leak in my pool that needs to be fixed. They said they've talked to pool contractors and they've been told the auto fill is supposed to shut off completely. I tried adjusting my auto fill float. I no longer hear the high-pitched squeal. My water level has gone down a little bit from adjusting the float, which I suppose can be expected. It still seems like it may not shut off completely. We're starting to look at the water meter a few times during the day to see what's happening.

Should I expect it's going to completely shut off?

I've already been fined for not repairing my alleged leak. I got them to waive it this time, but they will be back and if they see the water meter dial spinning at all, I'll get my fine reinstated.

Should I expect it's going to completely shut off?
Probably not. The pool is constantly losing water to evaporation therefore, the auto fill is constantly filling the pool. If the pool level is not well above where the auto fill shuts off, then don't worry about it.

The auto fill works pretty much the same as the toilet float. When the water drops to a certain point, it opens and fills. When it reaches a set point, it shuts off. There's usually a 1/2" or so difference between the two so the thing shuts off and stays off a while.

Check out the illustrations on the last page of http://www.pentairpoolme.com/uploads/document/file/512/Manual_Automatic_Water_Fillers_T40-F.pdf

The whole stem moves up and down to adjust water level, the float itself gets moved to adjust the cutoff. Play with it some.

in southern california, in the summer, dry pan evaporation can be as much as 12 inches a month which works out to just under 200 gallons per day for a 20x40 pool (you don't have size in your sig, I guestimated based on gallonage). A trickle from the autofill would be expected.

I really appreciate all the replies on this.

My Filler

I figured out my water fill is from Pour-a-Lid/Stetson Development. Here's a link and a picture:
Stetson Development | Auto Water Level System. includes all the parts you need.

autolevelsystem.jpg

Leak?
Is there a manual valve that they can affix a tag or lock too? Maybe you could close the valve for a week, monitor the water level and then reassess based on that. Might be a good exercise just to rule out a leak for you anyway for a couple of days.
I have a manual valve where I can shut if off. So far, the supervisor has been very nice to work with...it just took a bit of effort to get my conversation moved to that level. I don't think I'm to the point where they need to lock it shut. I can shut if off and monitor. What I'm not sure of is how to judge loss from a leak vs. evaporation?

Evaporation
Two opinions were that it's not going to shut off:
The pool is constantly losing water to evaporation therefore, the auto fill is constantly filling the pool. If the pool level is not well above where the auto fill shuts off, then don't worry about it.

in southern california, in the summer, dry pan evaporation can be as much as 12 inches a month which works out to just under 200 gallons per day for a 20x40 pool (you don't have size in your sig, I guestimated based on gallonage). A trickle from the autofill would be expected.

My pool surface area is probably around 580 sq. ft.

My problem is that the water department has been educated by pool professionals who say auto fills should shut off. Therefore, I'm in violation and I'll keep getting fined with increasingly-large fines for repeat offenses unless I can get it to shut off. So far they've been nice. I don't know if I can educate them differently.

How can I calculate the expected water loss from evaporation? I've also been using Heatsaver Liquid Heating Solar Blanket. It's supposed to help keep in heat and reduce evaporation. I don't know what difference that makes (in the real world or in calculations).

I assume we shouldn't be using the pool when doing a test; otherwise we'll have water loss from pool use. How many days do we need to not use the pool for a proper evaporation vs. leak test? (it's summer and we're swimming)

Thanks again for the help.

How can I calculate the expected water loss from evaporation? I've also been using Heatsaver Liquid Heating Solar Blanket. It's supposed to help keep in heat and reduce evaporation. I don't know what difference that makes (in the real world or in calculations).
With any wind, that will not work. The only way to stop evaporation is with a pool cover that can cover the entire pool but even that is nearly impossible.

I use a pool cover and even with that, the fill never shuts off 100%. You can still hear a very tiny hiss if you get close.

But what you can do is right before they test the pool add enough water with a hose so the level is much above shut off and the fill shuts off completely.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.