Automatic Pool Cover Pump Question

h2ctpdjl

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 12, 2008
Indiana
Looks like the plug on my pool cover pump (rule H53SP-24) is bad and I am wondering if maybe it could be repaired? Does anyone have any information on this? Would it be worth fixing or better to just replace the whole pump? I saw some on Amazon.com for around $135.00, but that's still a lot of money. I went onto Rule's website and asked them about the possiblity of repairing/replacing the cord, but as of yet, have not gotten a reply.

You can always just get 14 gauge extension cord and then cut the pump cord, splice, and reattach with solder or with caps and put some electrical tape wrapped in duct tape or if you want, get heat shrink plastic and cover the exposed wires. Total cost? Less than $20.

Sorry, this is another new area for me. Exactly where do I cut the pump cord? You can see the base of the plug where the black covering is pulled loose, exposing a very small portion of the internal wires, so have to assume that is my problem. However, if I jiggle the plug "just right", i can get the pump to work, but don't want to have to rely on this generic "fix" to get me through the winter. More precise details would be greatly appreciated.

The inside "green wire" is exposed right at the base where it goes into the plug. The inside wire appears intact, but I am guessing something in there has been stretched to the point where it is not making full contact in the plug, thus the need to "jiggle" the plug around to get it to run the pump. I have attached pic

Attachments

• PICT0490.JPG
    PICT0490.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 53
Ah very easy fix then. Go into walmart or home depot and buy the shortest 3 prong 14 (16 is fine) gauge extention cord there is. ALSO buy some electrical caps. Just ask a sales clerk if you can't find them. Cut the extension cord about 6 inches before the plug. Then cut the pool pump plug about 6 inches away as well. Use a scissor or a splicer and expose the copper wiring in each of the three wires in the cord on the cut extension cord head and on the pool pump cord that was cut. Now connect the wires according to color by twisting them together like a grape vine and stick each wire pair into the cap and then twist the cap. Once done with all three, use electrical tape and cover the cap down to at least 1/2 inch of each wire connection. Now you can use duct tape to flatten all the caps down to the wire so they don't get in the way.

I know I don't explain this well, and if you have any questions feel free to PM me or post here for others to learn. Pictures also help! :-D

Thanks so much for your input. I don't know anything about electrical apparatuses, but I am a very determined woman, and certainly not afraid to try anything at least once! Thanks to this wonderful website, I have been opening, closing and maintaining my pool by myself for almost three years now. I will work on the plug/cord tomorrow and let you know how I come out. I am closing down my pool tomorrow - darn.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.