Automatic pool cover housing floods

May 21, 2018
USA
I have a coverstar auto pool cover that’s driven by a motor that sits in a dugout concrete housing next to the pool. It has a hinged metal cover that can be opened easily. My issue is that whenever it rains, water gets in the housing pit and pools. This, of course, trips the gfci every time I try to open the cover until that put dries out. Is there anyway to install a drain or a different cover for the housing I can get? It’s very frustrating. We had a ton of rain the past couple days so there’s an inch or so in there right now.

Here's what the cover box looks like from the outside. There's a drain on both ends - inside of mine, the cap has like a grid to strain out debris. It's the round thing at the bottom that the arrow points to in this picture:

The OP's vault is a concrete pit so it is a little different from the plastic vault above. It should be a 4" (ideally) pipe leading out of one end of the vault which daylights to a good drainage area. As mentioned above, it's probably clogged or maybe not designed right. You'll need to sleuth it a bit.

Also, the bottom of the pit may not be formed correctly. Meaning it may not slope towards the drain properly. That said, it shouldn't really be setting of the GFCI for that little bit of water in the vault.

Is this a new build? If so, have you contacted your PB or the cover installer?

It's a 20 year old pool so definitely not a new built. Plus, we didn't put the pool in and don't know who the builder was. My pool guy has to come out to replace our pump motor on Tuesday, so he's going to check it out for me while he's here. Pool ownership; every time you replace/repair something, something else breaks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.