Autofill, how to winterize

wireform

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
TFP Guide
In The Industry
Aug 15, 2017
Spring Valley, NY
Customers pool is plaster 35k and this is it for the season. I've never dealt with an autofill situation so this issue is a first for me. It's fed off a standard house spigot non backflow variety with a toilet tank style fill valve. What would be the a-z on doing this correctly so come season 2024 all is safe. Do you leave the fill valve there and work around it but can't see it surviving being frozen. How do you keep the equalizer line between the skimmer and autofill canister from breaking once the water level comes up in the pool from winter precip. Any help is greatly appreciated as this needs to happen before next weekend, Allan.

The float valve can be removed but you need to cut off water supply to it before removing.
It would be best to blow that line out.
Do you know the mfg of the autofill?
Sometimes the equalizer goes to the pool and some go to a skimmer. Need to put cut up noodle in the canister just as you would do with a skimmer to prevent ice cracking it.

Reactions: Newdude
+1 on removing the fill valve.
+1 Stuffing the canister with noodles.
+1 on blowing the fill line, which I bet wasn't planned for. You could T a spigot in on the downstream side of the shutoff line without too much trouble.

Use rubber winterizing plugs on both ends of the equalizer pipe, and the fill line.

Use a bendy funnel to get some antifreeze in there after capping one end.

Reactions: HermanTX
Thanks for the replies. So, the equalizer line doesn't penetrate the pool wall that's for sure so it must be between the skimmer and autofill canister.
So is my plan correct:??
a) disconnect at the hose bib
b) remove the fluidmaster like valve
c) blow the line clear and drop some rv antifreeze and plug it up
d) blow the equalizer line through AND the following part I'll do in addition to plugging from bothe sides which is I'll put a piece of foam backer rod it's full 6-10" length to absorb any ice expansion that makes it way somehow in there.
You guys rock, Allan.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.