Auto Fill after build

Aug 9, 2014
Katy, TX
I've poured more gallons of water down my street due to forgetting I was adding water to the pool, than I can count.
Does anyone know of a way to install a auto fill or maybe an inline control that would stop after a set time or gallons. I have a fill line through the side of the pool and the valve is above the deck so I have room a device.

Pictures would help but if the fill line and valve are standard PVC pipe, you could use a simple irrigation control valve on a timer or buy one of those hose bib style screw on irrigation timers. It all depends on the level of complexity.

Was the pool built without an autofill pot? Is the fill line into the pool in a location where a fill pot could be installed?

There are also equipment pad level systems that can sense when the water level is low and then signal an actuator to open a valve. Pentair has one like this -

However, the above is designed to work with a Pentair automation system. There are generic systems as well -

So, there’s lots of options.

So that’s a standard irrigation style backflow preventer. On the PVC line going into your deck, you could cut-in a standard 24VAC irrigation valve (RainBird) with a simple irrigation timer box. You’d also probably want to make sure you have a pressure reducer after the valve to reduce the pressure down to 15-25psi range. Standard household water pressure can be well above 50-80psi and it’s simply unnecessary. If you get a decent programmable valve controller you can easily set it to water at any time or any day or every other day or whatever you like. Hunter makes a decent valve controller or you could even go with a Rachio that is WiFi capable and uses a smartphone app. There are even flowmeters you could add that would allow you to keep track of water flow and how much you add as well a totalizer that allow you to add a set amount of water each time.

It really all depends on how fancy you want to get.

Reactions: Arizonarob
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.