Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi,

I have an automatic pool cover and it won't open all the way. After opening up the cover to the motor and rope spools, I can see that the rope is caught underneath other rope and the rope above it is so tight, it won't release the rope that got caught underneath it, therefore it won't feed anymore rope to the cover and the cover stops. I've got the rope spools spinning freely, but how can I get the rope loose enough to get to the rope that is "caught" underneath the rope above it?

It's a Coverstar rectangular cover. First problem I've ever had with it.

Thanks!

Update: Had to just cut the rope and will have to replace it as it turns out. The rope all around was extremely tightly wound and impossible to move away from the section that was caught underneath.

Update: Had to just cut the rope and will have to replace it as it turns out. The rope all around was extremely tightly wound and impossible to move away from the section that was caught underneath.
I've been fighting this same problem with my Coverstar ropes all last year. Never found a solution. Did you ever figure out the cause of the ropes binding around each other?

No. Never did understand why it happened. I've had the Coverstar cover since new, about 6 years. I attributed it to the rope losing elasticity. The only thing I noticed was the rope on that reel had lost it's softness/flexibility.

I don't know what the ropes are made of... they're rope.

I can't find where I read this. I recall my documentation recommended 3 things as part of annual preventive maintenance.
  • Spray out the track with water from a hose nozzle to get out sand & dirt (which will naturally land in the pool)
  • Lubricate all moving parts (pulleys, spool, etc.) with silicone or lithium grease or spray
  • Lubricate the ropes with silicone spray
If I recall, they wanted me to spray silicone lube through the tiny red tube all through the tracks. I tried that, and it's difficult to get the silicone where I want it and not everywhere else. I don't even try to do that anymore. I just spray the heck out of the rope on the spool while my wife opens and closes the cover. I don't know whether I'm doing it exactly right, but it definitely helps the mechanism run more smoothly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.