Atlanta Suburb Pool Build

I noticed your paver and thought to myself that those look great. Then realized you choose the same pavers we are going to go with :) (Belgrade Lafitt). What color are they, I know they have different colors by region? Are they the Lafitt Grana Slab or the Rustic Slab, do you know? They look to have more texture on them.
I’m glad you like them. We’re told they’re the “regular” (for what that’s worth?) in Avondale. We liked the samples better and the pallets that arrived had a lot more of the darker grays than we wanted. Overall, we think it looks great and gives us a lot more depth for decorative color options. Not being stuck in a beige rut. They are very textured. I haven’t been able to run a bare foot over them, but I think they’ll be just fine.
Are you posting your build? I’d like to see how yours is coming along. Best of luck!

I’m glad you like them. We’re told they’re the “regular” (for what that’s worth?) in Avondale. We liked the samples better and the pallets that arrived had a lot more of the darker grays than we wanted. Overall, we think it looks great and gives us a lot more depth for decorative color options. Not being stuck in a beige rut. They are very textured. I haven’t been able to run a bare foot over them, but I think they’ll be just fine.
Are you posting your build? I’d like to see how yours is coming along. Best of luck!
Thanks for responding and the information. Your installer did a great job. Hmmm, it will be interesting to see what our actual pallets come looking like and the texture. Doesn't look like Avondale is available in my region. It sure is hard to tell from the small samples. We wanted to have a border look around the pool so we originally had a different color coping (Aspen) vs decking (Rio) but we just switched that. We are going to do Rio coping, thin border next to that of the Dark Charcoal, and then Rio decking. Crossing my fingers it turns out how we are hoping. I add the link to my build posting to my signature.

Reactions: Slaru
Progress has been a little slow over the past couple of weeks. Last week, we were able to have our privacy fence installed. We had to do a little pleading with the neighborhood association to allow us to deviate from the prescribed fence allowances just a tad. Then we had an issue with our silt fence being across the fence line. After the installation, I was doing a walkthrough with the lead and told him how dissatisfied I was with the automatic closure on gate. The gate only self-closes when opened fully. The horrible spring pops loudly and sounds like it’s about to fly off. And when the door is only opened slightly (like wide enough for a child to enter) the gate does not close enough to latch. I have spoken to the fence company’s customer service person who is looking into the matter. I explained that I need this to resolved so that I can pass my final inspection.

We are also working on our wooden deck. Repositioning the steps leading down to the pool. The contractor we are using is being a little shady, but I think we will be happy with the job when complete. Seems like it should’ve been a two-day job. But part of his shadiness is that he only comes when there are about 2 hours of sunlight left to work. I’m sure he’s working on other jobs too. I just don’t feel like our job is a priority for him.

The tile guy came yesterday to place the marker tiles. I asked him about the grout he’d be using and he said it’s black. I’ve seen in some previous posts where others recommend no grout, but the plaster finish only. What do you guys think? Is the black likely to look good with these tiles or should I insist on the plaster to contrast and make the tiles “pop?”

Plaster should be next week since rain is forecasted for the next 2 days.

Our yard is an absolutely muddy mess. The sod we’ll be installing is not available until mid-April according to our landscaper. We switching from Bermuda to Zoysia for our entire yard. We also owe our neighbors a little grass. Any ideas how to deal with this mud until then? The landscaper recommends laying down either pine straw or wheat straw over the dirt/mud. If we opt for the pine straw, we’ll be able to use it to mulch our beds.

Lastly, we’ve been checking out outdoor audio system options. Anyone have a Sonance system? We’re looking at the Landscape series, but it comes with a hefty price tag. Curious if anyone else has installed a Garden or Patio series system and how well you like it. Pics would be great too.

Thanks for everyone’s input!!!

5890EFCD-420C-427D-9096-1211056ED74D.jpeg

My PB wanted to use black grout on my accent tiles too. I had them scrape it out. I think the black could end up looking like mold under the water. mostly because not all my accent tiles are black...so the black grout against the non-black tiles might look more like mold.

It depends on if you want each tile to stand out or look like a solid line. If you use plaster then you'll see the individual tiles but he black grout will make it look like a solid line. I would use the plaster.

Ok!!!! After almost a full month of absolutely no progress, the crew is now setting up for pebble!!! So excited!!!
We chose Stonescapes Aqua Blue in mini pebble. We chose to add 2 bags of hand-casted abalone for the bling.
These guys showed up at 0630 to set up and are about to get started with the pebble now. My PB says they’ll be back tomorrow to acid wash and start the fill. I treated our fill water last week and it doesn’t look like we have anything crazy in our water. I’ll post more pics later today.

Attachments

• E348ADF0-1B10-4E7F-876E-A2CDB95345F0.jpeg
    E348ADF0-1B10-4E7F-876E-A2CDB95345F0.jpeg
    785.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 02B0A306-6527-40A3-86F7-EF904F81FDD6.jpeg
    02B0A306-6527-40A3-86F7-EF904F81FDD6.jpeg
    744.2 KB · Views: 53
Reactions: johnywess
@Slaru Just looking at your pictures and notice the pool equipment in the back. Will your pool equipment be exposed to sun during the full day? Hard to tell what trees you may have around you. You may want to consider some type of shade for it.

@Slaru Just looking at your pictures and notice the pool equipment in the back. Will your pool equipment be exposed to sun during the full day? Hard to tell what trees you may have around you. You may want to consider some type of shade for it.
We had not planned for a shed or any other covering, but we’ll be landscaping around it with shrubs to screen it out of view. The pool builder thinks the huge oak tree and the neighbor’s sweet gum tree (I hate that thing!!!) will provide enough cover. We would’ve ticked the equipment closer to the house, but it would’ve been just outside our family room our guest bedroom.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Today was awesome! It REALLY looks like a pool now! I think the crew did a pretty good job cleaning up too. Tomorrow they’ll acid wash and install the returns, lights and drain covers so we can fill this bad boy up!

I’m assuming Wednesday will be our crash course in pool care

The landscape crew should be here Thursday to start some planting. It’s starting to warm up a little here in GA, so I think it’s perfect timing.

The past few days were super busy. The pebble/plaster was completed on Monday. Acid wash on Tuesday. We started filling the pool around 1pm and will hopefully have the spa filled in the next hour or so. So it has taken us almost 2 full days to fill using just a single hose.

Attachments

• 1611AE49-5441-45B0-A09B-5C4702653695.jpeg
    1611AE49-5441-45B0-A09B-5C4702653695.jpeg
    485.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 3A6CCD4B-64F6-4F3D-BCA2-1DAAC75F2BDB.jpeg
    3A6CCD4B-64F6-4F3D-BCA2-1DAAC75F2BDB.jpeg
    788.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 2A203C35-3742-4EB1-B121-277E3BF5085D.jpeg
    2A203C35-3742-4EB1-B121-277E3BF5085D.jpeg
    835.9 KB · Views: 37
  • D6CC7722-1E50-4CF6-9EE8-A955EB9F2327.jpeg
    D6CC7722-1E50-4CF6-9EE8-A955EB9F2327.jpeg
    895.3 KB · Views: 36
  • Love
Reactions: colleenbevans
Here’s the fill. I’ve gotta check the meter once the spa is filled, but we’re close! Pool school tomorrow!

Attachments

• B5F7424D-1338-4A84-AF13-FB6FC6E5B25D.jpeg
    B5F7424D-1338-4A84-AF13-FB6FC6E5B25D.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 54
  • 89327E22-0B54-4B0B-B418-EE908ACB8134.jpeg
    89327E22-0B54-4B0B-B418-EE908ACB8134.jpeg
    904 KB · Views: 49
  • 1D855C5D-7708-48D5-8AA5-DA014A090AEE.jpeg
    1D855C5D-7708-48D5-8AA5-DA014A090AEE.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 51
  • 70DEEB48-A8D9-4F2B-B0AB-23242CA5632A.jpeg
    70DEEB48-A8D9-4F2B-B0AB-23242CA5632A.jpeg
    808.7 KB · Views: 53
Here’s the fill. I’ve gotta check the meter once the spa is filled, but we’re close! Pool school tomorrow!
Post your test data of your fill water. Also, take a picture of any chemicals they put in the pool. Did they put anything in when you started the fill?

Post your test data of your fill water. Also, take a picture of any chemicals they put in the pool. Did they put anything in when you started the fill?
When I tested the fill water, I got
FC 2.0
pH 7.5
TA 40
CH 50

Neither of us were outside when he started adding chemical so I don't know amounts. He said he added muriatic acid, calcium, and shock. He also put some granules in one of the skimmer baskets. We haven't had a chance to check since then because of work. I'll test tomorrow again. Pool tech said he'll be back next week to check levels again, but of course, we will have checked a few times before then. We'll be more vigilant from here on out.

When I tested the fill water, I got
FC 2.0
pH 7.5
TA 40
CH 50

Neither of us were outside when he started adding chemical so I don't know amounts. He said he added muriatic acid, calcium, and shock. He also put some granules in one of the skimmer baskets. We haven't had a chance to check since then because of work. I'll test tomorrow again. Pool tech said he'll be back next week to check levels again, but of course, we will have checked a few times before then. We'll be more vigilant from here on out.
Thanks for update. I am going to make the assumption that the test data is from a sample taken from the pool rather then from the tap that was used to fill your pool. The level of FC indicates that the PB did add "shock" (or chlorine) to the pool as it was filling. It would be good if you could take a sample of water from your tap and also from your pool then compare the test results. This would indicate what he may have added or not.
It is important to brush your pool a couple of times a day to ensure the plaster dust is circulated out and does not settle on the pool plaster.
Both your CH and TA will come up as they add more chemicals. I would have thought your CH would have been higher as normal tap water usually has calcium unless you have a water softener and the tap used to fill the pool is hooked to the output of the water softener.
Keep us updated.
The granules he added to the skimmer basket was possibly Stabilizer i.e. CYA. I noticed that you did not test that.

Thanks for update. I am going to make the assumption that the test data is from a sample taken from the pool rather then from the tap that was used to fill your pool. The level of FC indicates that the PB did add "shock" (or chlorine) to the pool as it was filling. It would be good if you could take a sample of water from your tap and also from your pool then compare the test results. This would indicate what he may have added or not.
It is important to brush your pool a couple of times a day to ensure the plaster dust is circulated out and does not settle on the pool plaster.
Both your CH and TA will come up as they add more chemicals. I would have thought your CH would have been higher as normal tap water usually has calcium unless you have a water softener and the tap used to fill the pool is hooked to the output of the water softener.
Keep us updated.
The granules he added to the skimmer basket was possibly Stabilizer i.e. CYA. I noticed that you did not test that.
Those are the results from the tap before filling the pool.

When the pool tech gave us their little test kit, he tested the Clorine and the pH. The pH was 7.6 and the chlorine was "4 or 5". That was 2 days ago. I worked all day yesterday, so I tested this morning got these results using the TF-100. The water has remained as cloudy as the first day.

FC = 0
TA = 90
pH = 8.2
CH = 175
CYA = 0

:mad:

Just brushed the pool and now we're heading to the store to grab some liquid chlorine, CYA and calcium. They gave us 4 one gallon jugs of muriatic acid and a bottle of shock called Refresh+. I think it must've been the shock that he added to the skimmer basket.

Suggest you add some MA as your pH is high which is normal with new plaster - that is why they gave 4 gals of MA.
Add your LC as well. Be careful with your stabilizer as you want to increase that slowly so you do not overshoot it.
Continue to brush and circulate the water to remove the plaster dust.

Do you mind sharing who you hired for landscaping and fencing? We are in Tucker and just signed a contract with our pool builder. We still need to find a landscaping and fence company, though. Love the way your pool turned out!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.