At what RPM do other IntelliFlo owners vacuum?

rawb

Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2017
Lexington, SC
I've been trying to find a happy medium RPM to vacuum at so that I have good suction but the vacuum head doesn't stick to the liner too much. Also trying to decide weather to divert all of the suction to the skimmer or leave some main drain in it. I'm just using the triangular brush head from the PB currently.

Thanks!

OK, this is ugly, but I'll share anyway. I wanted to improve vacuuming optimization, so I had my pool guy install a valve that would divert all suction to the vacuum port, and remove the skimmer from the equation. Worked great, but...

I unknowingly requested a potential danger! It's my understanding that a two-drain system is safer for two reasons: it halves the amount of suction to each drain, but the second reason is more important: should someone block one of the drains (loose suit or long hair, etc), the entrapment danger is lessoned by the other drain, which "takes over" the suction and reduces the suction at the clog. I'm not doing a great job of describing that, but hopefully making it somewhat clear.

By closing off all the intake sources save my vacuum port, if someone were to come into contact directly with it, there would be no other intake to take up the slack. The full force of the pump would be directed at the contact point, and nowhere else. I have heard stories of people being eviscerated in this way, and I suspect they are not just stories. There is a safety flap on my port that is supposed to protect against this possibility, but it is, after all, just a small spring-loaded piece of plastic.

The way my system is set up, it would take a lot to go wrong for something like that to happen, but the possibility exists and I haven't quite figured out how to safeguard it (except to undo what I altered).

Just sayin'... I think it's possible to create a real danger, however remote, by what one does with their pool plumbing...

OK, this is ugly, but I'll share anyway. I wanted to improve vacuuming optimization, so I had my pool guy install a valve that would divert all suction to the vacuum port, and remove the skimmer from the equation. Worked great, but...

I unknowingly requested a potential danger! It's my understanding that a two-drain system is safer for two reasons: it halves the amount of suction to each drain, but the second reason is more important: should someone block one of the drains (loose suit or long hair, etc), the entrapment danger is lessoned by the other drain, which "takes over" the suction and reduces the suction at the clog. I'm not doing a great job of describing that, but hopefully making it somewhat clear.

By closing off all the intake sources save my vacuum port, if someone were to come into contact directly with it, there would be no other intake to take up the slack. The full force of the pump would be directed at the contact point, and nowhere else. I have heard stories of people being eviscerated in this way, and I suspect they are not just stories. There is a safety flap on my port that is supposed to protect against this possibility, but it is, after all, just a small spring-loaded piece of plastic.

The way my system is set up, it would take a lot to go wrong for something like that to happen, but the possibility exists and I haven't quite figured out how to safeguard it (except to undo what I altered).

Just sayin'... I think it's possible to create a real danger, however remote, by what one does with their pool plumbing...

Eeek.. thanks for the sobering story Dirk. Make sense! I was just curious what others were doing. I'm torn between going too much suction and having it kind of stick to the liner too much and too little suction where the suction isn't all that great.

You're manually vacuuming, right?

How is the vacuum's hose connected to the pump, through a dedicated port, or in the skimmer?

Can you describe your intake setup? Skimmer... drain(s)... vacuum port, and whether they're all controlled independently with valves, or not? (Sometimes the drain(s) are plumbed to the skimmer, and sometimes they're plumbed back to the pad and have an independent valve.)

And what kind of valves? Cheapie PVC ball valves, or the better ones, for pools, with adjustable stops?

Any automation? Or have you setup up any pump presets? One for vacuuming, another for filtering?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.